The Student Room Group

Sitting an A-level independently...

I'm currently in university studying Spanish and Italian. I did A-levels in Spanish, Maths and History. After uni I wish to do a year abroad in France with the British Council, but to do so I'm required to hold an A-level or AS in French.

The A-level distance courses are not for me, I like to either be in a classroom environment, or better yet, to be able to work on the language myself, since no-one knows where my downfalls are better than me!

So, this question is in two parts;
How much would it cost to sit this qualifications without the teaching (i.e. just the exams!) and how would I go about this?
Also, could anyone recommend any resources I could use? Grammar book, text book, vocabulary book, conversation book...
Reply 1
Slightly different option: will they not take language qualifications studied at university? As in, the evening classes that I imagine must be available within your languages department. They are often graded to a common European standard; I think the end of C2 corresponds with an A-level standard.

You'd likely have to pay, unless you have any other free modules in your degree in which to do some, although depending on the length of your degree i'm not sure if you'll have all the time available to do it completely. Worth checking though, as it does mean you can be in a classroom, with a teacher in a small class with other students to speak to. If you've just started this year I think you'll have enough time.

Edit: might actually be B2, in which case it's about ~4 semesters, so you ought to be fine.

I did a beginner's module of German during my first year, and some guy in my class was on a Spanish with French and Russian degree so kind of all walks do it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Nymthae
Slightly different option: will they not take language qualifications studied at university? As in, the evening classes that I imagine must be available within your languages department. They are often graded to a common European standard; I think the end of C2 corresponds with an A-level standard.

You'd likely have to pay, unless you have any other free modules in your degree in which to do some, although depending on the length of your degree i'm not sure if you'll have all the time available to do it completely. Worth checking though, as it does mean you can be in a classroom, with a teacher in a small class with other students to speak to. If you've just started this year I think you'll have enough time.

Edit: might actually be B2, in which case it's about ~4 semesters, so you ought to be fine.

I did a beginner's module of German during my first year, and some guy in my class was on a Spanish with French and Russian degree so kind of all walks do it.

I wish! The university does do a language programme alongside this, but you're right, I'd have to pay mounds for it since my Italian is beginners' and already takes so much time. Also, I don't have any pre-existing qualifications in French (though through self teaching I'm around GCSE standard) so they'd make me take a beginners' class in my first year, which means I wouldn't be able to progress onto "Post-intermediate" which is their A-level standard. I'd like to find a way I can leave it to my own devices and just sit the exams. That way I can keep the costs down and I have total freedom over what to work on.
Reply 3
Original post by Jakers1
I wish! The university does do a language programme alongside this, but you're right, I'd have to pay mounds for it since my Italian is beginners' and already takes so much time. Also, I don't have any pre-existing qualifications in French (though through self teaching I'm around GCSE standard) so they'd make me take a beginners' class in my first year, which means I wouldn't be able to progress onto "Post-intermediate" which is their A-level standard. I'd like to find a way I can leave it to my own devices and just sit the exams. That way I can keep the costs down and I have total freedom over what to work on.

The language dept at my place used to attempt to gauge language properly - i.e. if they gave you an A2 exam and you proved to pass it to an acceptable level then they'd allow you to start the B1. If it is the case, it's worth pushing it. I'm not exactly sure how much the cost of an external A-level is, but yeah i'd wager that A1-B2 would end up costing more, but if you only need to start at B1 then it might end up similar just you get the teaching.

Contact local colleges (that offer French) about how much it will cost you to sit as a private candidate. It generally seems to vary from what I can tell, but AQA for instance quotes a max. of £124 inc. visits for the whole A-level but the colleges will whack extra fees on top of it. Sort of unsure if not having a GCSE would be problematic, although I think with explanation you'd probably be alright (i'd trust someone doing a languages degree to be competent and committed to it, personally :tongue:) the thing to check is whether or not the college can/will conduct your oral exam, or if you'll have to pay for an examiner to come (as I think that's about 40 quid more, comparing the full A-level total of £82.50 to £123.90 on AQA)

Quick Reply

Latest