The Student Room Group

Pill & antibiotics - could I be pregnant?

I'm on the pill & don't use condoms with my boyfriend. I've been taking the pill everyday around the same time roughly (except one or two times where I've been about 3 hours after usual time) but never missed a day.

I'm on my pill free week now & usually come on my period on Wednesday. It's now nearly Friday & I'm a bit worried that I'm pregnant! I have some period like pains but no bleeding whatsoever. I was on antibiotics last week for a skin infection & read the leaflet which didn't mention it could affect birth control. I had sex twice in the time I was on the antibiotics. Also, I've had sex twice in the pill free days which I haven't done before - could that affect my period coming?

My boyfriend got me to take a test two weeks ago, he was scared with me feeling unwell (I have glandular fever) & found out his friend got a girl pregnant who was supposedly taking the pill correctly. So if my period doesn't come & I am pregnant, how long should I wait until I take a test?
Taking a test 2 weeks ago would probably be too soon. But it is possible that the antibiotics reduced the effectiveness of the pill and that you ovulated while taking them. Now, while you're missing your bleeding, would probably be a good time to take a test.

It is also possible that your body fighting an infection has affected your hormones, which is why you haven't had a bleed, so do bear that in mind.
Reply 2
Original post by Kabloomybuzz
Taking a test 2 weeks ago would probably be too soon. But it is possible that the antibiotics reduced the effectiveness of the pill and that you ovulated while taking them. Now, while you're missing your bleeding, would probably be a good time to take a test.

It is also possible that your body fighting an infection has affected your hormones, which is why you haven't had a bleed, so do bear that in mind.

I'm going to take a test next week. I googled the medication I was on, Clarithromycin, & it said that it doesn't interfere with birth control (I know that everything on the internet is not correct). I hope my period comes, I've still got period like pains. Thanks for the reply!
there's only one type of antibiotic that does interfere and its rarely perscribed. in the past they thought antibiotics did but they then discovered it doesn't. Often if i've been ill it will come late. try not to panic. tests are only really accurate at all from when your period would be. if you're worried take another one
Reply 4
Seriously, never worry about the whole "antibiotics reduce the effectiveness off the pill" rule...because, frankly, it doesn't. As Ellsbells said previously, there's only one type of antibiotic that does interfere with it and it's rarely prescribed (I think it's mainly for extremely ill people). The only way antibiotics can effect your absorption of the pill is if it's been giving you diarrhoea/vomiting.

Talking from experience: I've been on antibiotics three times this year (I had glandular fever too!), I am also on the pill; it didn't affect it what so ever. My boyfriend and I didn't use condoms during this time either, and we've been fine. Similarly to natural periods, general being unwell and stress can delay things. When I was all glandular fevery and feeling horrible, my withdrawal bleed came slightly later and was a bit weaker than usual, and I'm pretty sure it was because how run down my body was (especially with glandular fever, it can make your iron levels drop a bit...and obviously this will have a knock-on effect with your periods!).

So yeah, relax! All will be well :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest