The Student Room Group

Gap year re-sitting A-level modules - Too many?

Scroll to see replies

hi im on a gap year, i live in london and want to retake my physics practical units however i am not enrolled at a college. are there any private centres that do them? i retook my AS practicals 2 or 3 times so does that mean i cannot retake anymore?
Original post by hdaindak
did so many modules last year- all subject AS retakes plus history A2 and english A2 coursework- came out with all As is possible but hard!

Hi I'm retaking all AS and A2 this year, I'm struggling with my timetable I do 4 hours in the morning and 3 hours in the afternoon (at best) and was wondering is this enough to cover everything? How did you find it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by radicalboujie
Hi I'm retaking all AS and A2 this year, I'm struggling with my timetable I do 4 hours in the morning and 3 hours in the afternoon (at best) and was wondering is this enough to cover everything? How did you find it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah thats loads! especially this early on in the year! i would mainly just advise properly studying the guidelines and examiner feedback :smile:
yeah thats loads! especially this early on in the year! i would mainly just advise properly studying the guidelines and examiner feedback :smile:
during your gap year, how many hour per day did you revise? like I'm in my gap year and retaking some exams but I'm revising 4/5 hours per day and building up as I go long and I'm not sure if that's enough
Original post by A sheesh
I took a gap year after getting bcc
(got dee in AS so i had 18 exams that year)
this year i had 8 exams and 2 empas and got it upto
AAB in chem law bio so very possible

how many hours per day do you revise like during your gap year?
Original post by Lost_hope
during your gap year, how many hour per day did you revise? like I'm in my gap year and retaking some exams but I'm revising 4/5 hours per day and building up as I go long and I'm not sure if that's enough

umm not that much as i only had 1 and a half a-levels left ( though one was art which is loads of work)!
umm not that much as i only had 1 and a half a-levels left ( though one was art which is loads of work)!
oh okay, yh I know art takes ages, one of my friends took art for a level too
how many hours per day do you revise like during your gap year?

id say about 2-3 hrs a day from jan. try and do a bit from an early date, forlaw i made a3 posters for each topic and day by day i could summarise a whole topic on 2 pages
Hey guys, I must ask what are you doing differently to your UCAS applications and personal statements for this year?
id say about 2-3 hrs a day from jan. try and do a bit from an early date, forlaw i made a3 posters for each topic and day by day i could summarise a whole topic on 2 pages
thank you :smile:
Original post by hamishh
So, I didn't get into the university I wanted to go to. My predicted grades were ABB but I disappointingly achieved BBC. I sort of saw this coming as Y13 was a very hard, busy year for me as I was Head Boy and also my late father was very ill at the time. So in my mind, I always had a back up plan which was to take a gap year and resit my A-levels while at the same time gain some valuable work experience abroad as I'm applying to study French and Spanish.

Anyway, I plan to re-sit two French modules to pull it up from a B to an A. I'm hoping that working in France for 3/4 months will improve my French as well as some private tuition, just to reinforce the grammatical side of things, translation, etc.

The other subject I want to resit modules in is in Psychology which I got a C in. I'd like to bring it up to an A. I only just got a B at AS though so I would have to get 2 A*s in my A2 modules to make this happen. So to be on the safe side, I'd probably have to consider re-sitting an AS module in Psychology. I love Psychology though and really enjoy it! I just messed up big time on the exam. Got an A in my mock but an E in the real thing!

In total, I'd have 5 exams to study for. 2 French, 3 Psychology. Does this seem like too much to study for? I don't actually know of anyone else in my position. Until I go to France in January, I'm working part-time but it's only 12 hours per week so I have quite a bit of free time on my hands. The other subject I studied was Economics and you could not pay me enough to sit down at my desk and start revising that again, which is why I want to bump up my Psychology grades up by 2.

Some advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hi I just wanted to ask how much it would cost you to take all the 5 exams since I'm retaking too and am trying to find a center that doesn't charge too much

Posted from TSR Mobile

hi, when did you start doing past papers and also did you retake it as an external candidate and revise by yourself at home?
hi, when did you start doing past papers and also did you retake it as an external candidate and revise by yourself at home?

Heyyy, my first past paper was at college in jan, and i didnt do it external :smile:. But individually i started past papers about april for bio, law i didnt do any and for my resits i dint know the format until a week before as i hadnt done them since 2012! Chemistry i started about may. Reason i start late is i wanted to use them after id finished. Id say revision wise i put a lot of effort in mainly in bio and law.

As law 2 weeks from april continuous. A2 law i did bit by bit from october and trust me its so much more easier that way rather than cramming. A2 bio i started from around november and chemistry in may because i was only4 ums off the A:colondollar:
Heyyy, my first past paper was at college in jan, and i didnt do it external :smile:. But individually i started past papers about april for bio, law i didnt do any and for my resits i dint know the format until a week before as i hadnt done them since 2012! Chemistry i started about may. Reason i start late is i wanted to use them after id finished. Id say revision wise i put a lot of effort in mainly in bio and law.

As law 2 weeks from april continuous. A2 law i did bit by bit from october and trust me its so much more easier that way rather than cramming. A2 bio i started from around november and chemistry in may because i was only4 ums off the A:colondollar:
okay, thank you for replying back :smile:

hey did you do any travelling in your gap year before your re-sits or just work for them? in the same position but not sure whether to just focus on my exams got 11 and an isa in total.. biology, chemistry and self teaching economics from scratch!
Original post by stephen1101
hey did you do any travelling in your gap year before your re-sits or just work for them? in the same position but not sure whether to just focus on my exams got 11 and an isa in total.. biology, chemistry and self teaching economics from scratch!

Hey! No i couldnt do much travelling except spain for a week cos i was still goin college. I would ac tually say i worked less that yr than my second yr, only cos i kept organised and took full advantage of my lessons. Also its important to try and make your revision effective. I would before, spend hours writing notes having no understanding what im writing. Make concise notes in a way you understand and look at what the markscheme wants. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT as exam technique is what has a huge impact on your grade:smile:
Reply 56
Missed only offer ( manchester ) of AAB as i got ABB but was 1 mark of an A in one of my subjects and it was marked terribly.

However I have received a uncondiitonal from another russel group uni for economics ( AAB offer ) .

However, i will be resting my business modules to get the A and will be getting a full time job in the mean time to save up money.
Reply 57

What were your strategies/tips for success?
Original post by hamishh
So, I didn't get into the university I wanted to go to. My predicted grades were ABB but I disappointingly achieved BBC. I sort of saw this coming as Y13 was a very hard, busy year for me as I was Head Boy and also my late father was very ill at the time. So in my mind, I always had a back up plan which was to take a gap year and resit my A-levels while at the same time gain some valuable work experience abroad as I'm applying to study French and Spanish.

Anyway, I plan to re-sit two French modules to pull it up from a B to an A. I'm hoping that working in France for 3/4 months will improve my French as well as some private tuition, just to reinforce the grammatical side of things, translation, etc.

The other subject I want to resit modules in is in Psychology which I got a C in. I'd like to bring it up to an A. I only just got a B at AS though so I would have to get 2 A*s in my A2 modules to make this happen. So to be on the safe side, I'd probably have to consider re-sitting an AS module in Psychology. I love Psychology though and really enjoy it! I just messed up big time on the exam. Got an A in my mock but an E in the real thing!

In total, I'd have 5 exams to study for. 2 French, 3 Psychology. Does this seem like too much to study for? I don't actually know of anyone else in my position. Until I go to France in January, I'm working part-time but it's only 12 hours per week so I have quite a bit of free time on my hands. The other subject I studied was Economics and you could not pay me enough to sit down at my desk and start revising that again, which is why I want to bump up my Psychology grades up by 2.

Some advice would be greatly appreciated!

Nah it's only 5 exams everyone in school (a level) has at least 6 each year

Quick Reply

Latest