What is the biggest issue in Women's Football?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
DIN-NARYU-FARORE
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Are the girls not fit enough? Is it the lack of pace? Goalkeeping? lack of ball control? Investment? Societal views on women? How can we resolve it?

Serious replies only please
alpen
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
it's just not as interesting
futbol
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Boobs
username917703
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
They aren't as good. It's as simple as that.
queensboy
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Lack of ability.

Most of these women playing international womens' football wouldn't make it onto the lowest professional league in men's football.
chickenonsteroids
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Men's football has been invested in for years whereas women's football is relatively new. Which means they're going to be of lower quality anyway.

It's not just because they're women. Tennis, swimming and athletics are all very interesting in comparison to football and that's because it's underfunded.
Huskaris
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
The quality of football is so unbelievably low. Your average first XI from a school could probably beat most womens team.

Women just are not built the same physical way as men, and men therefore have a huge advantage.

It's like putting a team of fit, athletic 25 year olds against a team of fit, athletic 15 year olds, the older guys will always win, even if both sets are at the peak fitness, because they are more physically developed.
tengentoppa
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
The quality of football is awful, and therefore there's no interest and therefore there's no investment.
ANEXIS kZstaR
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
american team has a few decent lookers, rest munters lolwat?
DIN-NARYU-FARORE
Rep:
(Original post by futbol)
Boobs
serious replies please
DIN-NARYU-FARORE
Rep:
(Original post by alpen)
it's just not as interesting
Other sports which both men and women compete in bring about the same amount of supporters e.g swimming so why not football
alpen
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by DIN-NARYU-FARORE)
Other sports which both men and women compete in bring about the same amount of supporters e.g swimming so why not football
- mens football has been around for longer
- men are almost always better at football than women at the professional level
DIN-NARYU-FARORE
Rep:
(Original post by Wilfred Little)
They aren't as good. It's as simple as that.
Is it because of the physical difference in men? Fair enough women will never have the physical capabilities of men and so the game will never be as fast but with more investment it can improve, surely?
TheShep
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
As has been said, they just aren't as good. Most of them when they kick the ball look like children who are still mastering their co-ordination.

People pay to see athletes who are good at what they do. Quick, strong, great technique, it is all a spectacle. Why would people be interested in a fairly poor standard of this?

Watching Bolt run 100m is far more special than watching a kid from the local school. Same goes for football.

Women's cricket is the same. Slow bowling, haphazard batting, throws that are slow and bounce very often before reaching their target. Nothing makes you go 'WOW I couldn't do that'.
DIN-NARYU-FARORE
Rep:
(Original post by alpen)
- mens football has been around for longer
- men are almost always better at football than women at the professional level
Sure men will always have the physical advantage and women may never be able to play against them but women can build muscle, be trained to be more athletic etc. I mean if there was at least a long term project which invested serious money to women's football we could see some results.

Plus Hope solo for the americans is pretty good even when compared to male standards
alpen
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Sure men will always have the physical advantage and women may never be able to play against them but women can build muscle, be trained to be more athletic etc. I mean if there was at least a long term project which invested serious money to women's football we could see some results.

Plus Hope solo for the americans is pretty good even when compared to male standards
that would be saying that training has the power to break the physical limitations of women...which it won't. Many of these women footballers train hard but still don't play nearly as good as men, that's a general fact. No amount of money will change a women's physical capabilities unless there was some scientific advancement that enabled women to become stronger
DIN-NARYU-FARORE
Rep:
(Original post by TheShep)
As has been said, they just aren't as good. Most of them when they kick the ball look like children who are still mastering their co-ordination.

People pay to see athletes who are good at what they do. Quick, strong, great technique, it is all a spectacle. Why would people be interested in a fairly poor standard of this?

Watching Bolt run 100m is far more special than watching a kid from the local school. Same goes for football.
When watching athletics you wouldn't say that the thrill between women's running and men's running is that much different even though the women are slower. why cant the same be done for women's football? sure we may never reach the same level of pace and strength but investment can lead to better goalkeeping, vision, fitness and technical skill
username917703
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Is it because of the physical difference in men? Fair enough women will never have the physical capabilities of men and so the game will never be as fast but with more investment it can improve, surely?
Yep, physical differences. I've posted this before but there was a girl in my sister's class, year above me in school who plays for Coventry City Ladies. I've played against her and you can't compare, she is skilful and a natural with the ball but it's no contest (played since I was 5/6 in fairness but nowhere near playing in League One, which is where CCLFC play). It's not me being sexist it's just stating facts.

I honestly think the strength/speed difference is that significant that a Sunday League team would beat most professional women's teams with a very basic tactics plan.

One thing I would definitely do to improve the sport is to make the balls lighter/smaller and the pitches & goals smaller. Playing on full size pitches with the same balls and goals as men just exposes the difference between the two.
DIN-NARYU-FARORE
Rep:
(Original post by alpen)
that would be saying that training has the power to break the physical limitations of women...which it won't. Many of these women footballers train hard but still don't play nearly as good as men, that's a general fact. No amount of money will change a women's physical capabilities unless there was some scientific advancement that enabled women to become stronger
if its relative then a woman using her own strength to hold off another woman can still be entertaining.
TheShep
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
When watching athletics you wouldn't say that the thrill between women's running and men's running is that much different even though the women are slower. why cant the same be done for women's football? sure we may never reach the same level of pace and strength but investment can lead to better goalkeeping, vision, fitness and technical skill
I'd say the thrill of the mens 100m is certainly more than that of the women's personally due to the incredible machines that the mens side produces. (Not just bolt).

I would also say that football is a more complex game than running. I just don't think women are suited to the mental intelligence required in football. To clarify, this is not an insult, but things like spatial awareness/vision, judging distance, speed and flight paths of the ball are generally better in males. No investment will change this.

Also factor in biology/chemistry. Females on the whole are hard wired differently and are less likely to be interested in 'red blooded' competitive sport on the whole, and particularly football. Less of a talent pool inevitably leads to less talent at the top end.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (56)
12.33%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (8)
1.76%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (122)
26.87%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (41)
9.03%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (212)
46.7%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
3.3%

Watched Threads