Communist Control Act of 1954

Watch
Jonny360
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
How can American be considered a democracy if the government has the power to ban a political party that they disagree with. Surely if the people of the USA want a Communist government then they should be allowed to vote for one. Doesn't the USA banning a party go completely against what a democracy stands for?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communi...ol_Act_of_1954
Aj12
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Jonny360)
How can American be considered a democracy if the government has the power to ban a political party that they disagree with. Surely if the people of the USA want a Communist government then they should be allowed to vote for one. Doesn't the USA banning a party go completely against what a democracy stands for?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communi...ol_Act_of_1954
Surely a democracy has a duty to ban those parties it sees as a threat to democracy? Germany is considered democratic but has banned plenty of parties in the past, as has the UK.

If it makes you feel better the Communist Party does still exist and is active in the US.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (110)
35.71%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (42)
13.64%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (19)
6.17%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (32)
10.39%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (37)
12.01%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (36)
11.69%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (32)
10.39%

Watched Threads