Determining Lattice enthalpy only by Born Haber cycle ? Watch

saravananr
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Why is it impossible to determine lattice enthalpy directly by experiment when we are able to determine enthapy of formation experimentally ?

GeorgeL3
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by saravananr)
Why is it impossible to determine lattice enthalpy directly by experiment when we are able to determine enthapy of formation experimentally ?

When you look at the definition of lattice enthalpy it becomes more clear why it is not possible to determine experimentally:
Lattice enthalpy is the change in energy when converting 1 mole of solid crystal to its scattered gaseous ions. (This is lattice dissociation, although lattice formation is also referred to generically as lattice enthalpy).

Producing gaseous ions which don't react with other things is extremely difficult and it would be nearly impossible to have to measure the enthalpy changes at the same time.

Instead it is much easier to calculate using the Hess cycle/Born-Haber cycle.

Also you must be careful, it is not always possible to determine enthalpy of formation experimentally either. The equations involved are often just theoretical such as the formation of benzene which won't actually occur as shown:

If you are still confused at all by it then take a look on Chemguide, you can find the answer to a great deal of chemistry questions on there.
saravananr
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Thanks for ur wonderful answer . I have clearly understood it now ! Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (132)
18.78%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (70)
9.96%
No I am happy with my course choice (401)
57.04%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (100)
14.22%

Watched Threads