Lucyjr
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I understand the processes of endocytosis and exocytosis but I'm not sure how e.g in the case of endocytosis the vesicle releases it's contents into the cytoplasm? Does it have to fuse with a membrane in the cell or does it just degrade and if so how?
Mule
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think it's like this.

So the vesicle is surrounded by it's membrane, and in for example endocytosis, the membrane of the vesicle will fuse with the cell surface membrane of the cell to release its contents inside. You could think of it like the vesicle gets a cut in it which makes it a sort of straight line of membrane (instead of a circle) which becomes part of the whole cell surface membrane.
You could do it as a practical with coins. Lay a straight line of coins out and make a circle with some other coins. Move the circle towards the straight line and then open up the circle and join it into the straight line by making a gap in the straight line.

Sorry if I didn't explain it well
Dynamo123
  • Study Helper
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Lucyjr)
I understand the processes of endocytosis and exocytosis but I'm not sure how e.g in the case of endocytosis the vesicle releases it's contents into the cytoplasm? Does it have to fuse with a membrane in the cell or does it just degrade and if so how?
Imagine it like this. You have a soap bubble floating about in space. A smaller bubble comes, touches the surface of the larger one, and then coalesces with it.
This is just how endocytosis occurs. Every vesicle is surrounded by an outer layer that has somewhat similar composition as the biomembrane, and so will fuse with it. Once it fuses, a part of the vesicle's membrane will be "broken" (or more correctly, absorbed in the surrounding biomembrane). Then, the contents of the vesicle will simply be released inside the cytosol.
Some vesicles may need to be acted upon by certain factors to release their contents.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (176)
14.52%
I'm not sure (56)
4.62%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (355)
29.29%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.89%
I'm not a current university student (590)
48.68%

Watched Threads