The Student Room Group

Do law firms look at UCAS points or A-level grades?

My results are BBB and acc(AS). Now although my UCAS points are 440, my A-level grades are pretty bad for a good law firm, (not necessarily in the magic circle), that asks for a minimum of AAB or equivalent

I'm currently studying International Relations at the University of Leeds and hope to go for the GDL once I graduate. My question is, do good law firms look at UCAS points, or would they rather look at grades?

Thanks anyway :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by J-SP
It will mainly be grades.

UCAS points are difficult to use in this day and age due to AS levels and the vast difference in UCAS points when comparing the IB and A-levels.

It's why most firms state on their website the grades they would look for rather than UCAS points.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So what would you say my chances are at a law firm like that with a masters degree in an IR related field? I'm wanting to do the gdl after my masters degree. Is that a bad idea too? If so, should I just forget about the legal field :/?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DeemzBeamz
My results are BBB and acc(AS). Now although my UCAS points are 440, my A-level grades are pretty bad for a good law firm, (not necessarily in the magic circle), that asks for a minimum of AAB or equivalent

I'm currently studying International Relations at the University of Leeds and hope to go for the GDL once I graduate. My question is, do good law firms look at UCAS points, or would they rather look at grades?

Thanks anyway :smile:

"AAB or equivalent" I wish I done a btec would've easily gained 3 Distinction/* = same ucas points as three A*/A's :frown: btecs are the silver lining and easy to get into a Russell group uni

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply