goonieskellie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So I'm writing my personal statement for veterinary medicine, and I'm applying to Bristol, Surrey, Liverpool and Nottingham.

Do you need to mention every single bit of work experience in your personal statement? Because I do not want to waste space listing them all, and some of them like catteries for example, I think I could write a much more interesting sentence about my time in a vet practice or farm, rather than there.

So basically what I'm asking is is there a way that the universities can see what work experience you have done without it being mentioned in your personal statement? I know some send a questionnaire, but do they all do this? And when? Like will they read it at the same time as your personal statement?

Thanks!!
Little Tail Chaser
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Some places have questionnaires that you need to fill in before the application deadline (RVC and Edinburgh off the top of my head). Other send them out after your application has been received (Liverpool and Surrey do this). I've heard that Liverpool don't even read your personal statement and send out the questionnaire to everybody meeting the grade requirements. I can't remember what Notts and Bristol do (I believe they send them after you apply), so I'd suggest checking the websites.
ABC05
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I don't *think* Bristol send out a questionnaire, so you have to include all of your work experience in your PS somehow?!
Lizziefickling
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Bristol send our a sheet where basically you list all your WE. Liverpool make you fill in a confusing form with week numbers etc, and Nottingham make you fill in a questionnaire. I listed my most important work experience moments in my personal statement. I wrote about being in Africa and that I went to an abattoir.
SilverstarDJ
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by goonieskellie)
So I'm writing my personal statement for veterinary medicine, and I'm applying to Bristol, Surrey, Liverpool and Nottingham.

Do you need to mention every single bit of work experience in your personal statement? Because I do not want to waste space listing them all, and some of them like catteries for example, I think I could write a much more interesting sentence about my time in a vet practice or farm, rather than there.

So basically what I'm asking is is there a way that the universities can see what work experience you have done without it being mentioned in your personal statement? I know some send a questionnaire, but do they all do this? And when? Like will they read it at the same time as your personal statement?

Thanks!!
As a PS Helper I would suggest that you mention the most important placements - perhaps choose a nice mix of small animals, large animal work, and "other" work exp. Remember to focus on what you have learned (both in terms of the professions, animal industries, skills, etc) rather than listing what you saw.

I am happy to look over your PS for you - visit the website in my signature if you're interested
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (56)
17.28%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (92)
28.4%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (121)
37.35%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (44)
13.58%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.4%

Watched Threads