Alzimondo
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey guys,

I'm currently doing History, Maths, Biology and Chemistry at AS and I have 1 week to decide if I want to drop any of my subjects and change them for other options.

I was going to drop History for Geography today, however I was informed by my Head of Sixth (also the Philosophy & Ethics teacher) to do P&E as it was suited more towards Medicine than Geography.

However, isn't Geography a more well respected A level to unis, or are they on par in regards to this?

I enjoyed a taster lesson I had today in P&E, but was wondering if I'd be disadvantaging myself by taking it instead of Geography for Medicine.

P.S - I was also wondering for further down the road; should I drop Maths or P&E (hypothetically speaking, if I were to take it) at A2?

Thanks so much for reading!
Charletitia
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
In terms of subjects, the 4th is not important, they don't really look at it and it gives you no advantage, history and geography are regarded equally, there is not superiority among subjects. Therefore I strongly advise you pick the one you most enjoy, and feel you will do best in.

You already have Chemistry, Biology and Maths which are three strong subjects, and the ones which you should (my opinion, also what I'm taking for A2 at the minute) take at A2, as most medicine requirements are Chemistry and Biology (vital!!!) and one other, or they specify maths or physics- however if you take those 3 you are covered for all contingencies. They also open a lot of doors disregarding medicine

Hope this helps
AidenLloydJepsen
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi there,

Easier: RS > Geography
Desirability: Geography > RS

However, 4th subjects don't really matter so you'll be fine; it isn't like RS is on the same levels as law or media studies; the subject is respected by unis.
Take whichever you think you'll get the best grade in.

GL
wowverybrilliant
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Alzimondo)
Hey guys,

I'm currently doing History, Maths, Biology and Chemistry at AS and I have 1 week to decide if I want to drop any of my subjects and change them for other options.

I was going to drop History for Geography today, however I was informed by my Head of Sixth (also the Philosophy & Ethics teacher) to do P&E as it was suited more towards Medicine than Geography.

However, isn't Geography a more well respected A level to unis, or are they on par in regards to this?

I enjoyed a taster lesson I had today in P&E, but was wondering if I'd be disadvantaging myself by taking it instead of Geography for Medicine.

P.S - I was also wondering for further down the road; should I drop Maths or P&E (hypothetically speaking, if I were to take it) at A2?

Hello
Chemistry is necessary for medicine and although biology is not required by some universities it will defo be helpful. So since you've already taken them if you want to apply for medicine you need to study them for a2 as well.

Depending on what you choose (and if you still want to do medicine) you may want to drop AS maths/history/PE and continue with 3 subjects at A2 level.

Most medical schools ask for 3 A grades at A2 or 3 A* at A2 or a mixture of both. The third subject offered at A2 does not have to do anything with medicine. yep. As long as you have chemistry and biology at A2 the third subject can be what ever you want.

If I were you id just do the subject i am more likely to get an A in.

You are not disadvantaging yourself by doing ANY third A2 subject because the universities don't really care what the third subject offered at A2 is

So...coming back to the point - do 4 AS subjects with chem , bio and 2 subjects you are very likely to get good grades in..and then discontinue one by the time you start A2.

Also- definitely don't do 4 A2 subjects because it will be waaaay too much work and unis know this and they don't require you of this anyway.

Hope this helps
Jkizer
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Geography is as good as RS, no worries there. Just do the subject which you'll get the best grade in.

Likewise for whatever you drop at A2 - No point in deciding now from my personal experience, since exams can go unexpectedly. Both subjects are fine as A2's

(Original post by jake4198)
H,
Media sure, but Law is more of a List B subject - In which Unis generally dont mind that being the 3rd A2. Plenty of medics (and people in very high end unis like Oxbridge) get offers with those sorta subjects in their A2's
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey guys,

It might just be me- but your head of 6th form sounds a bit biased because he/she teaches that subject.
Although your 4th subject doesnt matter as much- id personally do geography or history. But it all depends on which subjects you like best and which you feel you would get a better grade in.
Why do you want to drop history?
g.k.galloway
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey guys,

Your fourth subject doesn't matter. Take the one you feel you're most likely to get an A in.
I asked the same question when I was I your position

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (226)
61.08%
No (77)
20.81%
Not sure (67)
18.11%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed