BTEC level 3 IT student in need of urgent advice Watch

cnova
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello. As you may have gathered from the title, this is urgent. I recently enrolled on the first year (90 credit) of a BTEC level 3 Extended diploma in IT.

All the universities I want to apply to require the unit 'Maths for IT practitioners'. Before I enrolled I checked the units and this was listed. However I found out today that they dropped the unit for this year along with web design for our second year.

I mentioned about the universities requiring it etc and he believes that we have a chance to get it re instated in second year in the time slot that web design was going to be in. To do this he wants me to create a report on why it's an important unit and why should they reinstate it.

I have already got a few ideas such as earlier mentioned it's required by all the top 30 universities that accept BTEC for Computer Science. I wanted to ask if there is any chance that any of you could provide an example that I can place in the report such as, where it's been useful to you, what it could be useful for and such. Thank you for taking the time to read and reply if you do so.

If I came across as obnoxious, please believe me when I say it's not my intention, I am just panicking now as all my university choices I want to apply to in September require it.
Binary Freak
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by cnova)
Hello. As you may have gathered from the title, this is urgent. I recently enrolled on the first year (90 credit) of a BTEC level 3 Extended diploma in IT.

All the universities I want to apply to require the unit 'Maths for IT practitioners'. Before I enrolled I checked the units and this was listed. However I found out today that they dropped the unit for this year along with web design for our second year.

I mentioned about the universities requiring it etc and he believes that we have a chance to get it re instated in second year in the time slot that web design was going to be in. To do this he wants me to create a report on why it's an important unit and why should they reinstate it.

I have already got a few ideas such as earlier mentioned it's required by all the top 30 universities that accept BTEC for Computer Science. I wanted to ask if there is any chance that any of you could provide an example that I can place in the report such as, where it's been useful to you, what it could be useful for and such. Thank you for taking the time to read and reply if you do so.

If I came across as obnoxious, please believe me when I say it's not my intention, I am just panicking now as all my university choices I want to apply to in September require it.
Here's one.

Computing programming relies on the understanding of mathematical theory and expressions. Therefore, a unit useful for those progressing towards Computer Science, Software Development/Engineering.

If you need/want more then just quote me!!!
cnova
Rep:
?
(Original post by Binary Freak)
Here's one.

Computing programming relies on the understanding of mathematical theory and expressions. Therefore, a unit useful for those progressing towards Computer Science, Software Development/Engineering.

If you need/want more then just quote me!!!
Thank you very much, this is very helpful. If possible could you give me more? I have added a few extra but can use all the detail I can get. I really want this unit to be available, planning on going to Birmingham as I love the modules their course offers.
Binary Freak
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by cnova)
Thank you very much, this is very helpful. If possible could you give me more? I have added a few extra but can use all the detail I can get. I really want this unit to be available, planning on going to Birmingham as I love the modules their course offers.
Well the ability of applying and understanding various number systems (ASCII, Hex, Binary, Octal) is also essential for those within IT. If you look at a HTML file it'll inherit the hexadecimal system for colors on a typical webpage. Understanding this particular numerical system provides those with the necessary foundations for developing a webpage that uses a variety of colors.

Octal, another numerical base used within IT, extensively used on UNIX, IBM. Particular systems employ various bits. In the instance of an IBM mainframe it employs 12, 24, and 36-bit words. Therefore, important for those wishing to work or study the architecture of various computer systems. Read more Here

Numerical systems are also used widely within networking. The development of an appropriate addressing scheme relies on binary mathematics. When you look at an IP address in our number system, you can't do much with it apart from stare at it, those with the understanding of binary mathematics are able to convert the IP address into binary which opens up the opportunity of having a CIDR network. For instance 192.168.0.1 is translated to 11000000.10101000.00000000.00000 001.
yt7777
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Binary Freak)
Well the ability of applying and understanding various number systems (ASCII, Hex, Binary, Octal) is also essential for those within IT. If you look at a HTML file it'll inherit the hexadecimal system for colors on a typical webpage. Understanding this particular numerical system provides those with the necessary foundations for developing a webpage that uses a variety of colors.

Octal, another numerical base used within IT, extensively used on UNIX, IBM. Particular systems employ various bits. In the instance of an IBM mainframe it employs 12, 24, and 36-bit words. Therefore, important for those wishing to work or study the architecture of various computer systems. Read more Here

Numerical systems are also used widely within networking. The development of an appropriate addressing scheme relies on binary mathematics. When you look at an IP address in our number system, you can't do much with it apart from stare at it, those with the understanding of binary mathematics are able to convert the IP address into binary which opens up the opportunity of having a CIDR network. For instance 192.168.0.1 is translated to 11000000.10101000.00000000.00000 001.
I swear this all gets covered in unit 19?
yt7777
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by cnova)

You could ask if you could self teach it? Not all top 30 unis want it BTW, where are you looking to apply?
cnova
Rep:
?
(Original post by yt7777)
You could ask if you could self teach it? Not all top 30 unis want it BTW, where are you looking to apply?
I and two people from my class want to go to Birmingham. I know not all ask for it, but if you have it you have an advantage of other BTEC applicants who didn't take it, I have asked several universities and this was their response.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (136)
17.82%
It's just nice to be back! (204)
26.74%
Not great so far... (274)
35.91%
I want to drop out! (149)
19.53%

Watched Threads