The Student Room Group

Am I good enough to apply for economics at LSE?

My A level predicted grades are maths A*,further maths A*, economics A and physics A* or A. I've completed an internship and read a few books about maths and economics,but I'm so worrird about my GCSE results because I just took maths exam although I achieved A*. I know that LSE is very competitive and I still have not decided yet...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
A*A*A*A at A-Level? And you're considering LSE? Theres no way you'll get in. Everyone knows you need at least 27 A* at A-Level for them to even read your personal statement. You might want to consider London Met instead.

Seriously...what kind of question is this...
Wow, you will definitely get into LSE! Just apply and have the confidence!

I'm doing my College exams this year, aiming for the exact same grades as you! Except I dont do maths :tongue: hate it =pp maybe ill do computer science or something.
Original post by ZhouC
My A level predicted grades are maths A*,further maths A*, economics A and physics A* or A. I've completed an internship and read a few books about maths and economics,but I'm so worrird about my GCSE results because I just took maths exam although I achieved A*. I know that LSE is very competitive and I still have not decided yet...Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends on your module score for your maths and economics exams and of course your PS.

Original post by Usmani770

I'm doing my College exams this year, aiming for the exact same grades as you! Except I dont do maths :tongue: hate it =pp maybe ill do computer science or something.

No, it's not definite - far from it in fact.
Reply 4
Original post by josh_v
A*A*A*A at A-Level? And you're considering LSE? Theres no way you'll get in. Everyone knows you need at least 27 A* at A-Level for them to even read your personal statement. You might want to consider London Met instead.

Seriously...what kind of question is this...

A friend of mine got A*A*A*A but she didn't get an offer...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Mike_123
Depends on your module score for your maths and economics exams and of course your PS.

No, it's not definite - far from it in fact.

I got 100 for C1 to C4, 98 for M1 and 99 for S1,economics is just above90%. But I think PS is much more important.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Usmani770

My friend got exactly the same predicted grades but she didn't get an offer...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by ZhouC
A friend of mine got A*A*A*A but she didn't get an offer...

Posted from TSR Mobile

That doesn't mean she wasn't good enough to apply. Your grades, and her grades, are more than suitable to put in an application. Whether you get in is a different issue. No one is guaranteed a place at any university.
Reply 8
You should go for it. The worst thing that can happen is a rejection and as long as you choose 3-4 unis that are 'safer' then you should be covered.
Reply 9
Original post by josh_v
That doesn't mean she wasn't good enough to apply. Your grades, and her grades, are more than suitable to put in an application. Whether you get in is a different issue. No one is guaranteed a place at any university.

Thank you so much:-D. I will give it a try. Is accounting and finance a bit easier to get in than economics? Haha they are both very competitive.
Reply 10
Original post by Exodecai
You should go for it. The worst thing that can happen is a rejection and as long as you choose 3-4 unis that are 'safer' then you should be covered.

Thanks a lot^_^. I think I should apply for LSE but I'm not sure if I should try economics. It's too competitive...
Reply 11
Original post by ZhouC
Thank you so much:-D. I will give it a try. Is accounting and finance a bit easier to get in than economics? Haha they are both very competitive.

Well just look at the stats: Accounting and Finance had 1721 applications and took 120 students, so 14.33 applications per place. Economics had 2693 applications and took 212 students, or 12.7 applicants per place. But Economics has a higher entry requirement.

So you can't really say one is easier than the other.

Its a world class university. Getting a place is a challenge, as it should be, and will require a solid application. If you're deciding between the two courses because you think one will be easier to get on to, I think you'll struggle to get in. If you actually have a passion for a certain course and show that, you'll be much better placed to get in.
Hey, I'm wondering if LSE would consider my application...
I'm an Indian currently in my final year of school, doing CIE A levels.

Okay, here's what happened. My parents wanted me to study Medicine in college.
Around the end of AS, I realised that there's no way I'd enjoy being a doctor.

After a lot of persuading, I finally convinced my parents to let me drop Bio and take up Econs.
It's not a rash decision, I had always wanted to take Econs, but I couldn't fit it in with my subject choices at my school.
My school allows students to take MAX 5 A Levels with English Language being compulsory.
Of course with medicine requiring 2 or more sciences, I took Bio, Phy, Chem, Math and English.

I'm doing Econs AS this Oct/Nov. I got flat As in AS (Except English, C in that).
I'm predicted A*s in Math, Phy, Chem and hopefully Econs. I think I'm predicted an A in AS for that...

So, anyways, the point is that will LSE consider my application taking into account my situation and wait for my AS results (coz they arrive at Jan 15)
Thanks for reading my excessively long post :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by josh_v
Well just look at the stats: Accounting and Finance had 1721 applications and took 120 students, so 14.33 applications per place. Economics had 2693 applications and took 212 students, or 12.7 applicants per place. But Economics has a higher entry requirement.

So you can't really say one is easier than the other.

Its a world class university. Getting a place is a challenge, as it should be, and will require a solid application. If you're deciding between the two courses because you think one will be easier to get on to, I think you'll struggle to get in. If you actually have a passion for a certain course and show that, you'll be much better placed to get in.

Thanks. I enjoy economics much more than accounting and finance and I think I will go for economics.
Original post by ZhouC
I got 100 for C1 to C4, 98 for M1 and 99 for S1,economics is just above90%. But I think PS is much more important.

Maths is v good and economics is okay. I think for econs maths is more important, so you're in a good position for an offer if your PS is good.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending