The Student Room Group

I need help choosing my fourth AS subject.

So, I was always planning on doing straight up science and maths, which is what I have been doing for the past week. However, the more I think about it, the more I realise how much more interested I am by History and Philosophy than science some of the time. I'm not saying I dislike any of the sciences or maths - I love them and I'm very good at them - I just think I should maybe consider dropping Physics (the most irrelevant to anything I want to do in the future) for RS or History.
I spend most of my time at home watching debates between politicians and journalists and philosophers (the Hitchens brothers being my favourite) and I really do enjoy them...a lot! I can't help but think I would enjoy learning about them more than I would enjoy learning about quarks and coulombs - they're cool but not as interesting. As a side note I am incredibly confident in my ability to do well in History (I really do find it easy in comparison to most other things) and I'm not so sure that I could ace a Physics exam - I know that's not necessary, but I would like to be more confident in a subject I'll be taking for 2 years. I'm not bad at it, in fact I am reasonably good at it and I haven't had any problems yet, but I think I could do better in RS or History. Anyway, I have to decide this weekend what I want to do. I'm already a week into 6th form and I only have a few days to make any final changes to my subjects.

Thanks for any and all help,

Joel
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by JoelTheJaffaCake
So, I was always planning on doing straight up science and maths, which is what I have been doing for the past week. However, the more I think about it, the more I realise how much more interested I am by History and Philosophy than science some of the time. I'm not saying I dislike any of the sciences or maths - I love them and I'm very good at them - I just think I should maybe consider dropping Physics (the most irrelevant to anything I want to do in the future) for RS or History.
I spend most of my time at home watching debates between politicians and journalists and philosophers (the Hitchens brothers being my favourite) and I really do enjoy them...a lot! I can't help but think I would enjoy learning about them more than I would enjoy learning about quarks and coulombs - they're cool but not as interesting. As a side note I am incredibly confident in my ability to do well in History (I really do find it easy in comparison to most other things) and I'm not so sure that I could ace a Physics exam - I know that's not necessary, but I would like to be more confident in a subject I'll be taking for 2 years. I'm not bad at it, in fact I am reasonably good at it and I haven't had any problems yet, but I think I could do better in RS or History. Anyway, I have to decide this weekend what I want to do. I'm already a week into 6th form and I only have a few days to make any final changed to my subjects.

Thanks for any and all help,

Joel

If you want to swap then swap. I wouldny carry on with a subject that you arent confident in. Id swap it for something you are more interested in and think you can get a better grade in. Out of RS and history- id do history as out of the 2 its more respected.
I agree. Pick a subject that you will enjoy, so if physics wont help you much for your future career choice, do swap.
Thanks for the advice, I think I will try and change physics to history.
I'm doing chemistry, biology, maths and history for AS. People seem to think its a bit weird but I quite like having the balance of science and a more essay based subject - I feel like it's developing more transferable skills (essay writing etc) than if I'd just done three sciences and maths. Physics was the one subject I didn't really like as much so there was no way I could spend two years studying it. On the other hand, history is fascinating! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest