BBC's Nick Robinsons v Alex Salmond: Blatently Obvious Biased Editing Watch

Pretentious Pete
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I don't usually get annoyed by much in life, but I though this was actually pretty shocking by the BBC:

Clips of the sneaky editing can be viewed here.

Basically, the broadcasted footage has been edited in such a way to portray to viewers that Alex Salmond flat out refused to answer a question posed by Nick Robinson, when this simply wasn't the case at all.

Within the last 48 hours there have been tens of thousands of complaints over the incident to which the BBC have been very quick to respond and have stated that:

(Original post by BBC Complaints)
... The BBC considers that the questions were valid and the overall report balanced and impartial, in line with our editorial guidelines."
Full source here.

I don't understand why the footage did not simply say 'Alex Salmond avoided the question' but to say that he 'did not answer the question' is wholly misleading IMO.
Lady Comstock
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Wow that's quite bad.
jammy4041
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Pretentious Pete)
I don't usually get annoyed by much in life, but I though this was actually pretty shocking by the BBC:

Basically, the broadcasted footage has been edited in such a way to portray to viewers that Alex Salmond flat out refused to answer a question posed by Nick Robinson, when this simply wasn't the case at all.

Within the last 48 hours there have been tens of thousands of complaints over the incident to which the BBC have been very quick to respond and have stated that:

Full source here.

I don't understand why the footage did not simply say 'Alex Salmond avoided the question' but to say that he 'did not answer the question' is wholly misleading IMO.
Salmond gives 6 minutes of response, which flat out blows apart Nick Robinson's suggestion, and he doesn't consider it an answer. What an idiot.

http://rt.com/uk/187344-bbc-scottish-independence-bias/
Pretentious Pete
Rep:
?
Well so far, I'm glad you both agree with me and it's not a case of me just having sand in my vagina. Although English and very much wanting Scotland to stay a part of the UK, so not coming from the bias angle of an angry Scot who's 'Voting Yes' - this just really irritated me.

I'm not anti BBC either, and I actually quite respect Nick Robinson as a political journalist. I just though this was very much foul play, and the BBC's response was both inadequate and pathetic with underlining tones of denial.
jammy4041
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well so far, I'm glad you both agree with me and it's not a case of me just having sand in my vagina. Although English and very much wanting Scotland to stay a part of the UK, so not coming from the bias angle of an angry Scot who's 'Voting Yes' - this just really irritated me.

I'm not anti BBC either, and I actually quite respect Nick Robinson as a political journalist. I just though this was very much foul play, and the BBC's response was both inadequate and pathetic with underlining tones of denial.
I used to respect Nick Robinson as a political journalist. Now, there are too many questions. I mean, he he cut out and totally misrepresented the facts in this case, what else has he hidden?

I really loved the part where Salmond completely blew apart his argument, first by pointing out that corporation tax is based on economic activity, not where "the brass plaque is". He also quoted the chief of RBS, and suggested it was a technicality, with no jobs on the risk. BOOM! Argument blown apart. And the part where he pointed out Lloyds Bank already has its head office in London (!!), and then by pointing out the BBC would soon be under investigation, you know, just iced it for me.

It's not a situation only applicable to the BBC however. Look at the contrast between the Scottish papers and the English ones...especially regarding the NHS and the economy...it's crazy.

Salmond is a very able politician, and whatever he may be, he certainly is no fool; and he has a heck of a heap of credibility and integrity. The "no thanks" campaign is running scared, and that's a real back-handed compliment to the one politician who has delivered on his campaign promises. (Hint hint, David...you know...by holding a referendum when it was in his campaign...cough cough cough). And yet you have the BBC and the national media turning their hate on him, making it personal. They will lose the debate doing that.
FreedomIsntFree
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Notice RussiaToday report this but much of the British media will cover it up. Let's not forget BBC's pro-Israel bias the BBC is rotten to the core there to protect the establishment.
Genocidal
Badges: 16
Report 4 years ago
Of course there's a bias. The BBC will want Scotland in the UK for the sake of its own budget. The same with the leaked information from the Treasury. Anyone who believed this was going to be a fair fight is quite frankly deluded.
Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Andrew Marr > Nick Robinson
Snagprophet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Here's the BBC's response and I'm trying to figure out what everyone's so mad about?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/comp...ndrbsquestion/

Can someone link to me the part where Salmond talks about trust in response to his second answer?
Pretentious Pete
Rep:
?
(Original post by Snagprophet)
Here's the BBC's response and I'm trying to figure out what everyone's so mad about?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/comp...ndrbsquestion/

Can someone link to me the part where Salmond talks about trust in response to his second answer?
I can't speak for others, but for me, there's a difference between saying:

'He refused to answer' and 'He avoided the question'

Whilst he may have done the latter, he certainly did not do the former. It was edited in such a way to portray that Salmond got cold feed and did not even entertain the question with an answer, which is totally not true. There is no reason at all, why it couldn't be edited to say 'Salmond avoided the question'.

To say that 'he refused to answer' is just not true at all.
Snagprophet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I can't speak for others, but for me, there's a difference between saying:

'He refused to answer' and 'He avoided the question'

Whilst he may have done the latter, he certainly did not do the former. It was edited in such a way to portray that Salmond got cold feed and did not even entertain the question with an answer, which is totally not true. There is no reason at all, why it couldn't be edited to say 'Salmond avoided the question'.

To say that 'he refused to answer' is just not true at all.
So he didn't answer it then? I mean, if someone said 'banana' after someone asks them 'what is 2+2', 'banana' is technically a response, but I can't imagine it would be seen by other people as a proper response. Farting can be a response, they're still refusing to answer properly.

I like Nick Robinson's style, ask once, don't push the original point of the question, and then report that they didn't respond to it properly.
InnerTemple
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't see the issue... Salmond didn't answer the question.
MatureStudent36
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Full source here.

But Alex Salmond has never been able to answer a question.

He spent £20k of taxpayers money trying to hide the fact that he didn't have legal advice on the EU even though he said that he did.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...al-advice.html

You weren't one of those loons who picketed BBC Scotland because they've tried to remain impartial in this debate?
Jordooooom
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by MatureStudent36)
But Alex Salmond has never been able to answer a question.

He spent £20k of taxpayers money trying to hide the fact that he didn't have legal advice on the EU even though he said that he did.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...al-advice.html

You weren't one of those loons who picketed BBC Scotland because they've tried to remain impartial in this debate?
They are a anything but impartial. There's been a few examples of how they have favoured the no side. Too many times for it to be considers a coincidence
MatureStudent36
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jordooooom)
They are a anything but impartial. There's been a few examples of how they have favoured the no side. Too many times for it to be considers a coincidence
Questioning outlandish claims by the SNP campaign and not slavishly believing what they're saying to the Scottish electorate doesn't constitute favouritism.

The BBC consistently seems to be caught in the cross fire. Members if the no campaign have accused it of being biased.

A look at the criticism of the BBC over the recent situation on Gaza has seen it simultaneously being accused of being pro Israeli and pro Palestinian in its reporting.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (149)
18.58%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (79)
9.85%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (136)
16.96%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (114)
14.21%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (78)
9.73%
How can I be the best version of myself? (246)
30.67%

Watched Threads