The Student Room Group

Biomedical Science and Psychology help

Im hoping to apply to courses in Biomedical Science and Microbiology but I really want to apply for Psychology also as I have recently developed a keen interest in this particular degree. However I am really struggling to write a personal statement that will be able to cover both Biomedical Science courses and Psychology courses. Does anyone have any ideas on how I could go about doing this because I simply can't decide between the two right now?!
Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by abcd9895
Im hoping to apply to courses in Biomedical Science and Microbiology but I really want to apply for Psychology also as I have recently developed a keen interest in this particular degree. However I am really struggling to write a personal statement that will be able to cover both Biomedical Science courses and Psychology courses. Does anyone have any ideas on how I could go about doing this because I simply can't decide between the two right now?!
Thanks

Just don't even try. It will be very obvious, and only cause to question your commitment to both areas.
Original post by abcd9895
Thanks

Decide which you want and apply for that and just that

Have you looked at Neuroscience or Psych with Neuro as an option
Reply 3
It would be very hard to write a personal statement covering both, but not impossible, as psychology is also a science. You could talk about your general love for science, and say that the two areas you find most exciting are biology and psychology, then give examples of what you have done to pursue these interests.

Admissions tutors know that many students will be applying to different degrees, so they are likely to be lenient. However, some may want you to show complete dedication to their course in order to accept you. I would email the universities themselves and ask if it would put you at a disadvantage.

Have you considered a Natural Sciences degree? Many universities that offer this course offer the combination of biology and psychology. I looked into doing this degree with that combination and found there were a lot of options! Neuroscience or Neurobiology or something along those lines could also be an option.

Good luck with whatever you end up applying for!
Reply 4
In addition to my previous post, in your personal statement you could talk about topics that are relevant to both subjects, i.e medical conditions affecting the brain, brain anatomy etc.. whatever you find interesting :smile:
Psychology in particular is a very popular subject, so it is not advised to apply for it unless that is your main subject. Talking about a love of science in general is too vague and won't do you any favours I'm afraid. You need to decide which subject to apply for (some courses in biomed may cover aspects of psychology) and then focus on talking about that subject

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending