The Student Room Group

Should I risk applying for Pharmacy??

Hi, I am currently in year 13 and have just received my AS grades. They were extremely disappointing even though I worked so incredibly hard for them. I also suffered from anxiety and a panic attack in my biology exam. I study Chemistry, Biology and English Lit. Anyways... I ended up with ADD (A in English). I am gutted :frown:.

I've ALWAYS wanted to do pharmacy and now I can't because universities want 320 points and wouldn't offer me a place. I'm not worried about getting 320 points because I believe with dedication and drive I can do it. I'm just worried that I'll be taking a HUGE risk applying and being rejected. What should I do????
Original post by Emilyscott123802
Hi, I am currently in year 13 and have just received my AS grades. They were extremely disappointing even though I worked so incredibly hard for them. I also suffered from anxiety and a panic attack in my biology exam. I study Chemistry, Biology and English Lit. Anyways... I ended up with ADD (A in English). I am gutted :frown:.

I've ALWAYS wanted to do pharmacy and now I can't because universities want 320 points and wouldn't offer me a place. I'm not worried about getting 320 points because I believe with dedication and drive I can do it. I'm just worried that I'll be taking a HUGE risk applying and being rejected. What should I do????

Kingston University do a foundation year which allows you to transfer onto Pharmacy.

You could always retake the year? (I would have). I know a lot of people who have, I suppose it could be like a gap year instead your doing an extra year? Then you will get better results if you study hard and then get into the university you want (hopefully) with no complication and problems... :smile:
Original post by Mr.Econometrics
Kingston University do a foundation year which allows you to transfer onto Pharmacy.

I read that the foundation course was 2 years. Then a 4 year course onto pharmacy, plus a one year pre-reg... that's 7 years!!!!!!! instead of it taking 4
Original post by Kitty-meaw
You could always retake the year? (I would have). I know a lot of people who have, I suppose it could be like a gap year instead your doing an extra year? Then you will get better results if you study hard and then get into the university you want (hopefully) with no complication and problems... :smile:

Maybe you're right. It's just the thought of re-taking a year which makes me feel stupid :frown:

Perhaps do a foundation year.
(edited 9 years ago)
I read that the foundation course was 2 years. Then a 4 year course onto pharmacy, plus a one year pre-reg... that's 7 years!!!!!!! instead of it taking 4

Are you sure? Where did you read that?
Maybe you're right. It's just the thought of re-taking a year which makes me feel stupid :frown:

Don't worry about whether it would or would not make you feel stupid because what matter is what you get at the end. You don't want to look back 10 years later and regret the decision you make, so make a wise and good decision, good luck!:smile:
Original post by Kitty-meaw
Don't worry about whether it would or would not make you feel stupid because what matter is what you get at the end. You don't want to look back 10 years later and regret the decision you make, so make a wise and good decision, good luck!:smile:

Thank You so much for you're supportive comments :smile:
Original post by Mr.Econometrics
Are you sure? Where did you read that?

I just read it and I'm apparently 'overqualified' because I do 2 sciences at A2, therefore they will not make me an offer.
Thank You so much for you're supportive comments :smile:

It's ok, welcome anytime:smile:
If you can just retake some exams and carry on with your A2's but requires a lot of work and dedication . I ended up with two C's in bio and chem so I'm retaking the unit one exams for both to push it up to an A in chem and a B in bio and do my A2 exams so I would have a total of six exams . but I'm also doing engineering which is worth one A-level and all coursework so I'm still hoping to apply this year for pharmacy ! So don't give up !
Original post by TheLegalDealer
If you can just retake some exams and carry on with your A2's but requires a lot of work and dedication . I ended up with two C's in bio and chem so I'm retaking the unit one exams for both to push it up to an A in chem and a B in bio and do my A2 exams so I would have a total of six exams . but I'm also doing engineering which is worth one A-level and all coursework so I'm still hoping to apply this year for pharmacy ! So don't give up !

Thank you very much, honestly your support means alot to me, so thank you! :smile::smile::smile:
Hi,
I definitely think that you should do a foundation year.
UCLAN does a 1 year foundation year too....
Original post by STUDYREVISE
Hi,
I definitely think that you should do a foundation year.
UCLAN does a 1 year foundation year too....

Yeah I'll do that! Thx for the advice! :smile::smile:
Yeah I'll do that! Thx for the advice! :smile::smile:

No problem :smile:
The foundation year at Preston University (UCLAN) requires 3 D's at A-Level :biggrin:

your wrong it is only 6 years altogether not 7

Quick Reply

Latest