How can I get predicted an A for A2 Spanish??

Watch this thread
BobbieShamrock
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I got a B for AS (over half way to an A but more than 1 or 2 marks off). I asked my teacher what my prediction would likely be and he said it would stay at a B, because apparently few people get a higher grade in A2 than AS. Is this true (at least without retakes) because it surprised me.
Also how should I get him to predict me an A? I believe I can do it and will work harder this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
zyzz u mirin?
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
Tell him you will do anything for that A :sexface:
_Fergo
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by BobbieShamrock)
I got a B for AS (over half way to an A but more than 1 or 2 marks off). I asked my teacher what my prediction would likely be and he said it would stay at a B, because apparently few people get a higher grade in A2 than AS. Is this true (at least without retakes) because it surprised me.
Also how should I get him to predict me an A? I believe I can do it and will work harder this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well, logically, fewer people get a higher grade in A2 because A2 is usually much more difficult than AS.

Also, tell him that your university would require an A prediction. Do make it clear that you intend to work very hard.
L'Evil Fish
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Well I think he should probably predict an A. Just say you'll improve and work harder with less subjects as well and you need it.

I think one grade higher is fine.
gracesumner
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I'd definitely ask her, I got a D in my French exam and was predicted a B in A2...
It sounds bizarre and unfair, but I am resitting the whole AS year plus I have to get a B in my January mocks as a condition by my sixth form otherwise they won't allow me to continue with A2!
bluebeetle
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I did French, and the only people I know who went up a grade (inc. myself) retook an AS exam. Maybe suggest retaking the oral or the written exam as this gives you a better chance of getting it up to an A (and redoing language exams is super easy).

Posted from TSR Mobile
TenOfThem
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Without retakes same grade predictions are standard

If you are not an early applicant then you have until Christmas to convince him you can do better but it is his professional judgement in the end
JamesJones777
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I had a B in French and German for AS, I am now predicted an A in both. In my school people usually go up a grade or two in A2 (Usually involves resitting a year 12 module.)
BobbieShamrock
Rep:
(Original post by bluebeetle)
I did French, and the only people I know who went up a grade (inc. myself) retook an AS exam. Maybe suggest retaking the oral or the written exam as this gives you a better chance of getting it up to an A (and redoing language exams is super easy).

Posted from TSR Mobile
I suggested retaking the oral exam to him and he said it was pointless... I'm reluctant to retake the written exam as I don't want it to detract from my A2 exams. Did you retake the written exam? Did you need to do any extra revision? thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
BobbieShamrock
Rep:
(Original post by TenOfThem)
Without retakes same grade predictions are standard

If you are not an early applicant then you have until Christmas to convince him you can do better but it is his professional judgement in the end
really? I thought going up a grade, or at least up half a grade, was standard.

Ideally I'd like to get applying over and done with before half term, although I don't HAVE to. I've been told it's good to apply early for Russell group universities, Idk if it's true or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
bluebeetle
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I suggested retaking the oral exam to him and he said it was pointless... I'm reluctant to retake the written exam as I don't want it to detract from my A2 exams. Did you retake the written exam? Did you need to do any extra revision? thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got a C in my AS French (my own fault, didn't revise anywhere near as much as I should have).
I retook both the oral (which I'd gotten a low A in) and the written exam (think it was a C or D) alongside A2. I revised only for A2, and got an A for my AS (nearly full marks in the oral) which gave me a high B overall in the A-level.
It had very little impact on my other exams, I think languages are probably easiest to retake. You improve so much during the A2 that the AS exams are a piece of cake (it felt like sitting a GCSE!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
TenOfThem
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
really? I thought going up a grade, or at least up half a grade, was standard.
Maybe for languages it is - not in my experience though

Ideally I'd like to get applying over and done with before half term, although I don't HAVE to. I've been told it's good to apply early for Russell group universities, Idk if it's true or not.
There is no advantage at all
BobbieShamrock
Rep:
(Original post by bluebeetle)
I got a C in my AS French (my own fault, didn't revise anywhere near as much as I should have).
I retook both the oral (which I'd gotten a low A in) and the written exam (think it was a C or D) alongside A2. I revised only for A2, and got an A for my AS (nearly full marks in the oral) which gave me a high B overall in the A-level.
It had very little impact on my other exams, I think languages are probably easiest to retake. You improve so much during the A2 that the AS exams are a piece of cake (it felt like sitting a GCSE!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well done in the oral!
Maybe I will retake the exam then..

Posted from TSR Mobile
lilymoran
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Can you ask your teacher for some more detailed feedback about where you need to improve? or can you get past papers and exam reports from your Exam Boards? These reports will give you a clear idea of what you need to do to get the best grades. You can sometimes order them online. for a fee.
athena1
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
That is so strange that he's refusing to predict you a higher grade as I got a B in AS German but I'm being predicted an A. I also know someone who got a C in AS French and then got an A* overall with retakes, so you can improve a lot. If you're with Edexcel there's thing for teachers called Results Plus where they can see what mark you got on each question and maybe you can ask your teacher to look at yours so you know what to improve on e.g. you got a low accuracy mark for the essay so you can revise more grammar, or you did badly on the readings so you can do more reading activities.

I would really advise re-taking the written exam because even though I got an A overall in French and an A on the paper I'm re-taking it, as you just improve so much it's so easy to re-take and you almost always get a better mark with no revision it's worth it. As for the oral, I would say concentrate on your A2 one as that's a lot harder and if you do your AS one too it will probably distract you from your other subjects.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Sociology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (30)
22.22%
The paper was reasonable (62)
45.93%
Not feeling great about that exam... (30)
22.22%
It was TERRIBLE (13)
9.63%

Watched Threads