iamabbie97
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
How is the structure related to the function of these proteins?

Enzymes
Antibodies
Transport proteins
Structural proteins

and could someone confirm that these are uses of proteins and that one of these is quaternary? Thank you!
Dynamo123
  • Study Helper
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by iamabbie97)
How is the structure related to the function of these proteins?

Enzymes
Antibodies
Transport proteins
Structural proteins

and could someone confirm that these are uses of proteins and that one of these is quaternary? Thank you!
Well, I will do this for enzymes, and then you can work out for the rest yourself.
Enzymes, as you know, are globular in structure. This provides the "opportunity" to create pockets or domains where certain molecules are arranged in a specific manner. If enzymes were in the form of fibers, we wouldn't get an opportunity like this.
What is the role of these domains? The molecules lining the domains are "complementary" to certain substances inside the body. These substances can therefore bind to these molecules, acting as substrates for the enzyme. [Note: some of these substances might function as cofactors or prosthetic groups too].
So you see, a globular structure provides for enzymes to recognize and bind substrates with an excellent specificity--and then catalyze reactions involving these substrates as well.

Concerning your last statement, all of these proteins can be quarternary. Some structural proteins may be composed of a single polypeptide and hence be tertiary, but enzymes, antibodies and transporters are quarternary in their structure. The function of this may be this: one of the subunits can act as a facilitator of the process that is going to be performed by any other of the subunits.
iamabbie97
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Dynamo123)
Well, I will do this for enzymes, and then you can work out for the rest yourself.
Enzymes, as you know, are globular in structure. This provides the "opportunity" to create pockets or domains where certain molecules are arranged in a specific manner. If enzymes were in the form of fibers, we wouldn't get an opportunity like this.
What is the role of these domains? The molecules lining the domains are "complementary" to certain substances inside the body. These substances can therefore bind to these molecules, acting as substrates for the enzyme. [Note: some of these substances might function as cofactors or prosthetic groups too].
So you see, a globular structure provides for enzymes to recognize and bind substrates with an excellent specificity--and then catalyze reactions involving these substrates as well.

Concerning your last statement, all of these proteins can be quarternary. Some structural proteins may be composed of a single polypeptide and hence be tertiary, but enzymes, antibodies and transporters are quarternary in their structure. The function of this may be this: one of the subunits can act as a facilitator of the process that is going to be performed by any other of the subunits.
Thank you so much! So do you reckon this would qualify for the homework i was set (word for word)

"Find out 4 uses of proteins and describe how their function is related to their structure. At least one of your examples must have a quaternary structure"
Dynamo123
  • Study Helper
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by iamabbie97)
Thank you so much! So do you reckon this would qualify for the homework i was set (word for word)

"Find out 4 uses of proteins and describe how their function is related to their structure. At least one of your examples must have a quaternary structure"
Well, you are using four types of proteins, so that ought to do it. Just work out the details for the other examples.
habzi
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Can I have some help please ?
Can you explain how the correct primary structure is important in the function of a protein?
heavyhandscott
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by habzi)
Can I have some help please ?
Can you explain how the correct primary structure is important in the function of a protein?
The primary structure is important because the sequence of amino acids will decide which bonds will form in secondary and tertiary structure (hydrogen disulphide and another i cant remember :s), and the tertiary structure will decide the function of a protein as only certain biochemical reactions will have a substrate which can bond to the active site.
habzi
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by heavyhandscott)
The primary structure is important because the sequence of amino acids will decide which bonds will form in secondary and tertiary structure (hydrogen disulphide and another i cant remember :s), and the tertiary structure will decide the function of a protein as only certain biochemical reactions will have a substrate which can bond to the active site.

hydrogen, disulfide and ionic

THANKYOU SO MUCH. I knew what how but just could't put it into words, this is the perfect model answer, THANKYOU!
Can you help with AS biology cw at all?
heavyhandscott
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by habzi)
hydrogen, disulfide and ionic

THANKYOU SO MUCH. I knew what how but just could't put it into words, this is the perfect model answer, THANKYOU!
Can you help with AS biology cw at all?
Ahh thats right... See, we can both learn from each other and depends really, most we can do is try.. So go ahead

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (22)
14.01%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (42)
26.75%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (65)
41.4%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (23)
14.65%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
3.18%

Watched Threads