The Student Room Group

Arts and humanities vs STEM degree courses(poll)...

Poll

Which is more useful and beneficial to society?

...which is more important to society?

Are the Arts and humanities as useful as STEM or are they pointless Micky mouse degrees?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
This has been done to death. Haven't you grown tired already? It's also pretty obvious you're a stem snob...
Reply 2
Oh my god, are you honestly retarded?
I want to do an arts and humanities degree (Chinese with another language) but I admit that STEM is more useful. However, I don't want to be told things like I am a burden on the tax payer, enjoy working in Mcdonalds, you're wasting your time, Modern languages isn't a real degree etc.

I'm not bad at Science and Maths but I'm better at languages, shouldn't people study something that they can apply their skills and knowledge to?
(edited 9 years ago)
STEM degrees are more important 100%

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well it's pretty obvious. You need the stem peeps to do rough jobs and build stuff while the arts and humanities are needed to make the society a nice place to live.
I think both are as important as each other. Some people are better at arts and humanities, whilst others are better at STEM subjects. You can't tell some to study a subject they're not interested in
Reply 7
Whichever you prefer, neither are better for society.

STEM Enriches the human progression.
Art Enriches the human conciousness.

A world without either would be pretty crap.
Reply 8
Original post by a10
Oh my god, are you honestly retarded?

What do you mean? I am actually curious to what people think
Reply 9
Imagine a world with no music, art, debate or fictional writing. It would be crappy.
Imagine a world without any scientific progress.

The scientists make the world probable, and the artists make it livable.
Reply 10
Original post by ChickenMadness
Well it's pretty obvious. You need the stem peeps to do rough jobs and build stuff while the arts and humanities are needed to make the society a nice place to live.

That sounds like Plato's theory and I found it awesome!
Reply 11
Original post by *Stefan*
This has been done to death. Haven't you grown tired already? It's also pretty obvious you're a stem snob...

Why am I a STEM snob? I am just curious to what people think. For example is learning Art less/more/equally important as learning medicine? It is curiosity rather than snobbery.
Oh come on, you know what the answer is.
Original post by The Right
Why am I a STEM snob? I am just curious to what people think. For example is learning Art less/more/equally important as learning medicine? It is curiosity rather than snobbery.

You just purposefully used Art and Medicine to compare...

Where medicine is obviously far more useful than art... I could have said Languages and a PG doing a PHD on goats. Then there would be an obvious split.

You just want people to reaffirm your snobbery in STEM. I mean I could be wrong, but the way you've worded everything is that one HAS to be better than the other. They can't be equal.
Reply 14
Original post by CheGuava
Imagine a world with no music, art, debate or fictional writing. It would be crappy.
Imagine a world without any scientific progress.

The scientists make the world probable, and the artists make it livable.

That is a really good answer. It highlights the fact the world can not function as it does without either. But I am thinking more along the lines of degree courses. For example I have seen very talented young artists, actors and religious people who I think could go the whole way without a degree. The Art and Humanities are more about natural talent for example while the STEM is more about knowledge, logic and memorisation. It takes a lot to learn the STEM while when it comes to art for example your natural talent will suffice.
Reply 15
Original post by CheGuava
You just purposefully used Art and Medicine to compare...

Where medicine is obviously far more useful than art... I could have said Languages and a PG doing a PHD on goats. Then there would be an obvious split.

You just want people to reaffirm your snobbery in STEM. I mean I could be wrong, but the way you've worded everything is that one HAS to be better than the other. They can't be equal.

^^^^
Original post by The Right
That is a really good answer. It highlights the fact the world can not function as it does without either. But I am thinking more along the lines of degree courses. For example I have seen very talented young artists, actors and religious people who I think could go the whole way without a degree. The Art and Humanities are more about natural talent for example while the STEM is more about knowledge, logic and memorisation. It takes a lot to learn the STEM while when it comes to art for example your natural talent will suffice.

Your answer makes sense.

I used to be along the same lines as thinking as you, to be honest. I would have raised that point. What we have seen though, is quite a few people go into the STEM line without directly being involved in a STEM degree. In recent times, many young scientists have come forward with fantastic inventions, without having gone to university, but I will admit that a scientific path could perhaps be more direct.

For Arts at university, there are very distinct differences within Art degrees. Languages one would have to go to university really, but fine art one could learn at home.

When it comes to asking what is more useful, you need to be fair. STEM is more useful for a STEM career. Arts are more useful for a Social career. Arts also leads the way in Gender/Age/Sexuality equality, so it has that going for it. At the end of the day, they're different things.
Both, hence my degree is perfect :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Changing Skies
Both, hence my degree is perfect :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

And what is your degree?
Original post by inachigeek21
And what is your degree?

Biological Sciences and History :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest