Rbutton
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi, I've just begun A2 chemistry and we've been given some homework which has a question about racemic mixtures on it. We haven't been taught this but I'm really trying to impress my tutor so I really want to give a good answer.
'The sample of CH3CH(OH)CH2CHO produced consists of a racemic mixture (racemate). Explain how the racemic mixture is formed.'

Could somebody help me with what a racemic mixture is and the rest of the question please?

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
TSR Learn Together
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Maker
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The molecule is chiral, that is it has 4 different groups attached to a single carbon atom. Chiral molecules are optical isomers and can exists in either a left handed or right handed form. If you draw a 3D structure of the molecule, you can see for yourself. The 2 isomers are mirror images of each other.

A racemate mixture has equal amounts of left and right handed molecules.
Booyah
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If this is true it is pretty cool but I remember my Chemistry teacher saying that Thalidomide had 2 optical isomers, one which caused the deformation of limbs in children and the other caused the wanted prevention of morning sickness in pregnant women.

If the above is true it just goes to show how important it is for Chemists to know their stuff!
Maker
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Booyah)
If this is true it is pretty cool but I remember my Chemistry teacher saying that Thalidomide had 2 optical isomers, one which caused the deformation of limbs in children and the other caused the wanted prevention of morning sickness in pregnant women.

If the above is true it just goes to show how important it is for Chemists to know their stuff!
Thats true, drugs trials back in the 1950s did not test on pregnant animals but they do now due to Thalidomide. Chiral molecules from biological sources are usually only left handed like glucose because enzymes are also chiral. Only molecules made in labs are racemate although you can use the 3D structure of molecules to influence it a bit.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (22)
17.19%
I'm not sure (3)
2.34%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (42)
32.81%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.34%
I'm not a current university student (58)
45.31%

Watched Threads