The Student Room Group

Personal Statements/Summer School

Hey everyone! So I've just finished the first draft of my personal statement, and my teacher sent it back saying that she wants me to name the university where I completed my summer school - BUT, I distinctly remember one of the admissions tutors saying NOT to mention the university by name as this may affect your application to other universities. I tried telling her this and she is now insisting on naming the university for me in my reference. Grr.
What should I do?
p.s. I know this probably sounds really petty, but I don't want to get rejected by a rival university just because my teacher wants to sell me or whatever. Also, I'm over on the character-count anyway...
Reply 1
Tell her shut up?

Yeah its probably the worse thing you could do on a PS :wink:
Original post by crabsticks
Hey everyone! So I've just finished the first draft of my personal statement, and my teacher sent it back saying that she wants me to name the university where I completed my summer school - BUT, I distinctly remember one of the admissions tutors saying NOT to mention the university by name as this may affect your application to other universities. I tried telling her this and she is now insisting on naming the university for me in my reference. Grr.
What should I do?

I don't know for sure here, just giving you my input!! I would include the name if it was classed as a good uni for your course i.e. if it's at the bottom just talking about the skills you gain etc. would be enough but otherwise it might look good that you managed to get on that '______' summer school. I know you shouldn't mention the unis you're applying to as that would afect your application but if you remember being told that about summer schools as well then I would go against the teacher and not put it in, like in that situation I'd probably be going to everyone asking them lol but I'm sure putting it in wouldn't make that much of a difference so leaving it out even if you're teacher thinks you should put it in isn't going to cost you a place so in that situation I'd do what you think you should (leave it out).
PLUS I just realised you said you're over the character limit which in that case I would 100% take it out if I'd put it in as it isn't necessary :biggrin:
Sorry that turned out so waffley!! :tongue:
What should I do?
p.s. I know this probably sounds really petty, but I don't want to get rejected by a rival university just because my teacher wants to sell me or whatever. Also, I'm over on the character-count anyway...

In your reference it might not be so bad as there's no character limit/it's not coming from you. I definitely wouldn't put in your personal statement though! Are you applying to the uni you did the summer school at?
Reply 4
You put summer school details elsewhere so there's no need to name it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Jkizer
Tell her shut up?

Yeah its probably the worse thing you could do on a PS :wink:

Paha I wish! :wink:
Reply 6
Original post by loosiemorgan
I don't know for sure here, just giving you my input!! I would include the name if it was classed as a good uni for your course i.e. if it's at the bottom just talking about the skills you gain etc. would be enough but otherwise it might look good that you managed to get on that '______' summer school. I know you shouldn't mention the unis you're applying to as that would afect your application but if you remember being told that about summer schools as well then I would go against the teacher and not put it in, like in that situation I'd probably be going to everyone asking them lol but I'm sure putting it in wouldn't make that much of a difference so leaving it out even if you're teacher thinks you should put it in isn't going to cost you a place so in that situation I'd do what you think you should (leave it out).
PLUS I just realised you said you're over the character limit which in that case I would 100% take it out if I'd put it in as it isn't necessary :biggrin:
Sorry that turned out so waffley!! :tongue:

Thanks for the advice! I think I'll just go with my gut instinct tbh and leave it out.
Reply 7
Original post by furryface12
In your reference it might not be so bad as there's no character limit/it's not coming from you. I definitely wouldn't put in your personal statement though! Are you applying to the uni you did the summer school at?

Yeah that's true... I just don't want her sticking her big fat oar in!
Yes, the university where I went is my first choice, but I've heard that my second choice uni doesn't particularly like my first choice one (some of the first-years at summer school told us that they all got rejected by my second choice, so you either get one or the other), and so I don't want to end up getting rejected by the first for other reasons, and then my second because I'd implied I'm applying to my first... sorry, this is so convoluted! :s-smilie:
Thanks for the advice! I think I'll just go with my gut instinct tbh and leave it out.

it's okay :smile: that's what I'd do too :biggrin: plus reading your next comment about the two unis I would no way put it in, in that situation!! haha :biggrin:
Yeah that's true... I just don't want her sticking her big fat oar in!
Yes, the university where I went is my first choice, but I've heard that my second choice uni doesn't particularly like my first choice one (some of the first-years at summer school told us that they all got rejected by my second choice, so you either get one or the other), and so I don't want to end up getting rejected by the first for other reasons, and then my second because I'd implied I'm applying to my first... sorry, this is so convoluted! :s-smilie:

In that case I'd say definitely don't put it in! Up to you though obviously :smile: Good luck! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest