The Student Room Group

Help with my GCSE's

Can someone help me with History in my year 10 mocks I got an E! Bearing in mind that my target is an B. The exam was about comparing sources any suggestions in getting my grade higher.
The best advice I could give you is to learn the topics well and do loads of past papers. Past papers make a world of a difference.
Thank you patronsleviosa
Do you have a recommended amount of past papers to do?
Ever heard APOCAC? I sat my GCSE History in Y10 (over two years ago now) and got an A* somehow o_O But my teachers taught me that when comparing sources you should consider...oh boy I think I have forgotten some now though

Author
Purpose
Objective or subjective?
C
Accuracy
C

oh boy I have D: if anyone else can help I'd love them.

But basically look at the author, who they are might effect how they report something. In the American west the white man would record the killings of Indian's in a 'heroic' positive light, where-as an America indian would see it as a tragedy!

What purpose did the text have? Was it a speech made to change people's minds? Or was it someone's true thoughts in a diary?

Objective or subjective? Was the person trying to be biased, or where they giving the whole story?

Accuracy and accountability: A well renowned historian will have had to spend ages checking their facts, they wouldn't want to publish something false in case it hurt their respect! Hence it is more likely to be accurate. A soldier on a field might have just made something up to make them seem better. Heck I could write something and someone could use it as a source, doesn't mean it is accurate!

There was also something about when was it written? If it was written close to the date it might mean that the person was a first hand witness, and therefore may have known the details. If someone wrote in 1953 about something that happen in the 1700's how can we know for sure that they are certain what happened? However perhaps thing written later may have been able to have been researched so all sides of an argument were covered.
:biggrin: Thank you so much, but what do the C's stand for.
Original post by Tayotoyi
:biggrin: Thank you so much, but what do the C's stand for.

I'm trying to remember believe me, but I believe I have binned my books from secondary.

Credibility *may* be one. I honestly can't remember D: I even tried contacting my old class mates, but they went 'APOCAC...what are you on about?'

Another one may also be 'cross reference' for example, are there two sources that back each other up? Have you come across any research that backs that source up?
Oh wow thank you:smile:. I really appreciate the effort you have put in to answer my question. What GCSE's did you take.
Original post by Tayotoyi
Do you have a recommended amount of past papers to do?

As many as you can :afro:
thank you. Do my year 10 mocks effect my chances at sixth form.

Quick Reply

Latest