The Student Room Group

Is it better to fail trying your best or succeed with less effort?

Poll

Is it better to fail while trying your best or to succeed with less effort?

Opinions?
(edited 9 years ago)
It's obviously better to succeed than to fail in any situation. Obvious thread is obvious.
Reply 2
Depends what you're doing...
Reply 3
If you succeed, it doesn't matter how much effort you put in.
I'd find putting 100% in much more impressive whether you succeeded or otherwise, but in this situation it would still be better to succeed even if it is annoying and unfair :redface:
Fail after putting in 100% - I suspect this is going to be a minority opinion though.

Reason: finding success easily means you should be trying something harder
Reply 6
Original post by Joinedup
Fail after putting in 100% - I suspect this is going to be a minority opinion though.

Reason: finding success easily means you should be trying something harder

This!
So you guys have never failed anything before? have you ever left your house? You wouldn't even be able to ride a bike with that logic because you take the easy way out. Always try your best as you'll never know otherwise... unless you will somehow know that you'll fail (knowing this is unlikely and depends on what you are talking about), in which case it may be a waste of time and time would be better spent doing something else.
Reply 7
This can be said to be a paradox, though I went with the second one.
For some people giving 100% is success itself.
Failing at 100% is a far better mindset to live by then putting in mediocre effort and succeeding. I'd never want to go through life feeling like I had more to give.
Reply 9
Original post by RVNmax
This!
So you guys have never failed anything before? have you ever left your house? You wouldn't even be able to ride a bike with that logic because you take the easy way out. Always try your best as you'll never know otherwise... unless you will somehow know that you'll fail (knowing this is unlikely and depends on what you are talking about), in which case it may be a waste of time and time would be better spent doing something else.

I don't believe that anyone is saying that they're afraid of trying new things because of the fear of failure. We're saying that, given the choice, succeeding is better than failing.
Nobody has ever gone into an exam, underprepared, and gotten lucky with a perfect exam paper, but then come out feeling remorseful that they've not had to work hard to succeed in the exam.
Reply 10
Original post by Jamerson
I don't believe that anyone is saying that they're afraid of trying new things because of the fear of failure. We're saying that, given the choice, succeeding is better than failing.
Nobody has ever gone into an exam, underprepared, and gotten lucky with a perfect exam paper, but then come out feeling remorseful that they've not had to work hard to succeed in the exam.

If that case existed then they would! Why would someone take such an easy exam. If it just happened to be a requirement, then one might feel annoyed that they had to sit it... or at least definitely would rather try something harder, no?
Failing at 100% because then I know what to focus on improving.
Reply 12
Success with minimal effort, no point putting in loads of effort if you know you'll succeed with less.
Original post by Toriar
Success with minimal effort, no point putting in loads of effort if you know you'll succeed with less.

But how do you know? Surely you want to do as well as you can?

Quick Reply

Latest