The Student Room Group

Advice on gap year budget

Is £5000 GBP a realistic budget to go to India, China, North America/canada, South America and Australia/NZ on a gap year? (£1000 average each part of the world.) I want to travel and see the sights but mainly see nature, especially in Canada and NZ.
Original post by morgan006
Is £5000 GBP a realistic budget to go to India, China, North America/canada, South America and Australia/NZ on a gap year? (£1000 average each part of the world.) I want to travel and see the sights but mainly see nature, especially in Canada and NZ.

It really varies on how long you spend in each place, flight tickets etc... Why don't you just do a few places though, rather than racing round and ticking the sites off your list... You could quite easily spend a year on just one continent and experience it properly, but it's up to you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
£5000 is loads in India but nothing in Australia- probably bout the cheapest and most expensive places you'll go. In India I'm living very comfortably on less than £20 a day and a lot of backpackers do it cheaper. In Australia, £12-17 per night in a hostel, few £ travel within cities, £6 for a cheap meal out, £4 a schooner, £35 bus between cities if you make good use of a pass, £3 a day for food if you go very basic.

So like said above, how much time do you plan to spend in each? An if you know roughly when you will go have a look at flights, get a rough price for all of them and take that away from your budget for actual spending budget. Probably take off another few hundred for visas and insurance and I think you need to pay for vaccinations too.

Canada, New Zealand and Australia have working holiday visas so you could consider that
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest