Please could somebody help me interpret a college qualification from 2003?

Watch this thread
Robocop656
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Ok so basically, my sister has a CACHE level 3 diploma in childcare and education issued in 2003. We are trying to work out what this equates to in UCAS points and exactly what grades she has. Basically, on her certificate it has 12 Units and a test paper, all with individual grades. On the front of the certificate (presumably the important part for actual qualifications) it has a B for the theoretical aspect and a C for the practical aspect. Any help would be much appreciated.
ByronicHero
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
I'm at work so could only have a cursory look but this suggests that there should be some sort of overall grade applied somewhere....

http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works...care-education
SlowlorisIncognito
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Robocop656)
Ok so basically, my sister has a CACHE level 3 diploma in childcare and education issued in 2003. We are trying to work out what this equates to in UCAS points and exactly what grades she has. Basically, on her certificate it has 12 Units and a test paper, all with individual grades. On the front of the certificate (presumably the important part for actual qualifications) it has a B for the theoretical aspect and a C for the practical aspect. Any help would be much appreciated.
It's worth bearing in mind that universities probably won't be too interested in a qualification from 11 years ago.
Robocop656
Rep:
(Original post by SlowlorisIncognito)
It's worth bearing in mind that universities probably won't be too interested in a qualification from 11 years ago.
This is true, however she is only looking at applying to foundation degrees probably at very undersubscribed providers, possible even further education colleges. It's mostly wanting to know what she has.
SlowlorisIncognito
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
This is true, however she is only looking at applying to foundation degrees probably at very undersubscribed providers, possible even further education colleges. It's mostly wanting to know what she has.
I didn't mean to sound disparaging of her qualification, and I hope you work out what it means.

Has she considered doing an access course?
Robocop656
Rep:
(Original post by SlowlorisIncognito)
I didn't mean to sound disparaging of her qualification, and I hope you work out what it means.

Has she considered doing an access course?
She's a tad limited to locations she can go to because of a disability :/ I don't know what she's looked at but I think she's quite stubborn about not going too far away from home.
SlowlorisIncognito
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
She's a tad limited to locations she can go to because of a disability :/ I don't know what she's looked at but I think she's quite stubborn about not going too far away from home.
Access courses are usually available via further education colleges and are aimed at people who want to move on to university level study. They're mainly aimed at mature students who are returning to study. I'm sure there would be something available that she could do still living at home, and move onto university next year- this would probably also give her more choice about what universities she could apply to, and the entry requirements are often much less stringent.

Whereas foundation years, even at lower ranking universities, tend to have a bit more of an expectation to hit the ground running. Although most universities do have lots of mature students doing foundation years, they often want to see some evidence of recent study, or possibly work and training in a relevant area. I would say the majority of people on foundation years aren't returners to education- however, my experience is mainly in science areas, where lots of people do foundation years purely because they didn't take the right combination of A-levels or equivalent qualifications.

Anyway, good luck to your sister in finding something suitable.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (26)
17.69%
The paper was reasonable (65)
44.22%
Not feeling great about that exam... (26)
17.69%
It was TERRIBLE (30)
20.41%

Watched Threads