The Student Room Group

Will my Science degree become useless if I do GEM?

Hi guys,

I'm currently entering my final year at university and I'm studying for a Masters in Chemistry. If I apply for GEM, I plan to apply next year (I want to finish university, take a year out to work in industry/research) and then study to become a doctor or do a PhD related to chemistry.

If I decide to study medicine...will my science degree become useless? I'm thinking of doing research once I become a doctor too. And I know i said i plan on applying next year...but should I apply this year...should I skip the year out? Is it worth it graduating a year earlier?

Thank you in advance! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Anyone?
your skills will be somewhat transferrable to GEM, but 95% of the content will be useless i assume.
Reply 3
Depends on what kind of Chemistry research you're looking in to. If it's the petrochemical industry it's hardly going to be relevant to a future career in medicine and would actually be something you'd have to explain away at interview.
A medicinal chemistry field could be helpful but could also be achieved after getting your medical degree.
I'd personally suggest going for the medicine degree now if you really want to do clinical work. If you're unsure then take the year out to work and get some experience in the healthcare sector.
Reply 4
I did a Master's in Chemistry, worked for 3 years and am starting medicine this year.

From what I can see the chem degree won't be that helpful in terms of its content (unless you want to intercalate in biochem or pharmacology or something), but is useful for getting an interview (a science Master's looks good) and talking about re your attraction to medicine I think.

A year in research again would probably strengthen your application further and would also show you whether a PhD in chemistry is something you might find suits you better. However, you should get a pretty good idea from your Master's what working in industry / research is like.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending