The Student Room Group

The Odyssey - books

If somebody who has read the Odyssey could help me out over here, that would be great, as I think I'm going mad.

Recently, I read the Odyssey - all 24 books. I read it as a novel, in my own time, last month because my teacher lent it to me. However, I am now at sixth form studying Classical Civilizations, and I have recently been given a copy of the book (Penguin Classics, ISBN 9780140449112) and I am pretty sure the book order is different.

Now, please tell me if I am just misremembering it, as this is how it was in my head:

The Cyclops is book 9 in the edition I currently have. I am sure, that previously, it was book 6. The rest of the internet tells me no, but I am sure that it was.

The Palace of Alcinous is book 7 and the Phaecian games is book 8 (in this edition) - before the Cyclops. Now, I am sure this is wrong! Because I thought that Alcinous was the one that gave Odysseus refuge in his palace, and lavished him with gold before returning him back to Ithaca? I am sure this is right because I remember him putting the gold they gave him into the cave. So surely this should prelude 'Odysseus lands in Ithaca', book 13?

Yeah, I'm just rereading a few pages and have discovered that it's because Odysseus is recounting his tales to Alcinous that it's in a funny order. Feel a bit silly now. However, does anybody have an edition in which the events are in chronological order, or am I just barmy?

Sorry for wasting everyone's time if it turns out I'm just a loon and everything's in the order it should be.
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Reply 2
From rereading my version of The Odyssey, I am pretty sure that Polyphemus is in Book 9.
Original post by katinthehat
If somebody who has read the Odyssey could help me out over here, that would be great, as I think I'm going mad.

Recently, I read the Odyssey - all 24 books. I read it as a novel, in my own time, last month because my teacher lent it to me. However, I am now at sixth form studying Classical Civilizations, and I have recently been given a copy of the book (Penguin Classics, ISBN 9780140449112) and I am pretty sure the book order is different.

Now, please tell me if I am just misremembering it, as this is how it was in my head:

The Cyclops is book 9 in the edition I currently have. I am sure, that previously, it was book 6. The rest of the internet tells me no, but I am sure that it was.

The Palace of Alcinous is book 7 and the Phaecian games is book 8 (in this edition) - before the Cyclops. Now, I am sure this is wrong! Because I thought that Alcinous was the one that gave Odysseus refuge in his palace, and lavished him with gold before returning him back to Ithaca? I am sure this is right because I remember him putting the gold they gave him into the cave. So surely this should prelude 'Odysseus lands in Ithaca', book 13?

Yeah, I'm just rereading a few pages and have discovered that it's because Odysseus is recounting his tales to Alcinous that it's in a funny order. Feel a bit silly now. However, does anybody have an edition in which the events are in chronological order, or am I just barmy?

Sorry for wasting everyone's time if it turns out I'm just a loon and everything's in the order it should be.

Hi there, you posted this three weeks ago, do you still need help? Quote me in this thread if you do; I don't want to waste time replying if you've already understood it - how are you finding Classical Civilisation A-level so far? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending