The Student Room Group

Are my A-levels and GCSES appropriate to medicine..?

Scroll to see replies

Not really a promising application for Medicine - sorry. I am not sure that you meet the requirements for a lot of Med Schools but even then just, say if you were to meet them, that is not the end of the story. Merely meeting the requirements is not normally competitive; are there any extenuating circumstances?
Original post by Spratty
My science grade is a C because I was put into foundation in year 9..which was waaaay back. For my other grades (bio, chem) I revised the day before the exam, sometimes for 1 hour before the exam, and passed with a B. I know that I will have to work harder, but I can understand scientific concepts that are more advanced than just a grade 'B' at GCSE.

I think the issue might be that most people who want to do medicine generally are the hardest workers for their exams, and universities are looking for the hardest workers who will show commitment to the long undergrad course, as far as I'm aware.
Do you have good work experience?
Reply 22
I would really ask as to why u want to do medicine as a career?
Can anyone explain what uses of maths actually is? :biggrin:

Cheers - Doing AS Bio, Chem, Phys, Maths, FM :smile:
Original post by Neurotoxicity
Can anyone explain what uses of maths actually is? :biggrin:

Cheers - Doing AS Bio, Chem, Phys, Maths, FM :smile:

exam boards?
Original post by Angelo12231
exam boards?

Sciences = AQA Maths = OCR
Reply 26
Original post by Naomi12
I think the issue might be that most people who want to do medicine generally are the hardest workers for their exams, and universities are looking for the hardest workers who will show commitment to the long undergrad course, as far as I'm aware.
Do you have good work experience?

I have work experience for 2 weeks in a pharmacy. My second option is to study pharmacy.
Reply 27
not all , i believe that if you have really as/a2 level results like 3a*- 3A's .. with additional LOTS of volunteering and charity work ..HIGH BMATS OR UKCAT .. you can get it in !!!
Show that you are passionate about the becoming a doctor !!

( best advice i can give you is - apply to university that suit your results and your subject .. also that you are MOST likely to get into )
(edited 9 years ago)
Newcastle med school don't consider GCSEs at all... Have a look at different schools to see what their requirements are... If you can get in for undergrad, do so... Graduate entry is sooo competitive!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
It doesn't mean anything... It's just a name...?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
They're ok...! Not when they're brown and mushy tho...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iamthebananalady
They're ok...! Not when they're brown and mushy tho...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I only like them when they have a darkish yellow colour, that's when they are the sweetest :h: moving on.
Nah, they've still got to have a hint of green for me :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nah, they've still got to have a hint of green for me :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ew :tongue:
Original post by Angelo12231
ew :tongue:

Best way!! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

dude nooooo :biggrin: