The Student Room Group

Cambridge Architecture students - AS level scores for an interview

Hi
The Cambridge Architecture website states that a candidate's average UMS score at AS level should be around 90% to be called for interview, and if it averages 85% or less, then they are 'very unlikely' to be called for interview.

Please let me know if you had an average of 85% or less, but still managed to get an interview (and at which College).

My average is 85%, though am predicted A*A*A at A level (at GCSE I achieved 8A* and 3A). I am confident about my personal statement, the quality of my Art portfolio and being able to demonstrate my enthusiasm for Architecture; but all this will count for nothing if the Admissions process means my AS scores prevents me from being called for interview.

I would also like to know if the Cambridge Architecture course is all you had hoped it to be.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Many thanks
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Hi, I got an average of 84% in my AS exams last year and did not get an interview (at Downing).

Rather frustratingly this was as a result of getting a U in a maths module, a blip I hoped they would've seen, and the fact that one of my subjects was an Art course, which are know to have low percentages (I got the 2nd highest mark in my year and only got 86% -.-). Seriously think they should take how tough art subjects are marked into consideration when looking at Architecture applicants.

Sadly, no matter how good you are at drawing or design they won't even take you seriously unless you've got the marks. I'd suggest an open application, or trying for one of the less applied to colleges to raise your chances.

Good luck with everything!
Original post by SMH95
Hi, I got an average of 84% in my AS exams last year and did not get an interview (at Downing).

Rather frustratingly this was as a result of getting a U in a maths module, a blip I hoped they would've seen, and the fact that one of my subjects was an Art course, which are know to have low percentages (I got the 2nd highest mark in my year and only got 86% -.-). Seriously think they should take how tough art subjects are marked into consideration when looking at Architecture applicants.

Sadly, no matter how good you are at drawing or design they won't even take you seriously unless you've got the marks. I'd suggest an open application, or trying for one of the less applied to colleges to raise your chances.

Good luck with everything!

Applying to a less popular college to try to raise your chances is a complete myth. If you're good enough you will get in somewhere - it's just that colleges like Kings etc are very popular, so more people get offers through the pool from there than other colleges. If you're a poor candidate then a college won't take you even if you were the only one to apply to them, and would rather take someone better from the pool.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending