The Student Room Group

Opinions on abortion?

for example if your bf asked you to get an abortion?

[example scenario]
gf: there are worse situations we could be in.
him: what's that?
gf: if i tell you i'm pregnant.
him: oh god.
him: would you go for an abortion then?
gf: probably if it's unplanned.
him: oh that's good. i mean i wouldn't know what to do, i'm not ready for that. i hope you're not.

Taking into consideration that both are college students, this is a hypothetical situation. Do you think a guy's love can be measured based on his response to whether to keep a baby etc or not? i'm just curious about what people on TSR think about this issue.
Original post by Anonymous
for example if your bf asked you to get an abortion?

[example scenario]
gf: there are worse situations we could be in.
him: what's that?
gf: if i tell you i'm pregnant.
him: oh god.
him: would you go for an abortion then?
gf: probably if it's unplanned.
him: oh that's good. i mean i wouldn't know what to do, i'm not ready for that. i hope you're not.

Taking into consideration that both are college students, this is a hypothetical situation. Do you think a guy's love can be measured based on his response to whether to keep a baby etc or not? i'm just curious about what people on TSR think about this issue.

In a hypothetical situation I would expect most people to say that they were not ready for an unplanned child
Reply 2
Original post by TenOfThem
In a hypothetical situation I would expect most people to say that they were not ready for an unplanned child

Some say, 'if the guy caused it, he should man up and take care of the baby' despite it being unplanned. What do you think of that?
Original post by Anonymous
Some say, 'if the guy caused it, he should man up and take care of the baby' despite it being unplanned. What do you think of that?

I think that people have different views on abortion
Reply 4
I think any man who would be discussing the possibility of an abortion purely on the basis of it being an unplanned pregnancy needs to look himself in a mirror and ask what the ****. There are many reasonable reasons for an abortion (in my eyes at least, I'm aware others will disagree) - it being an unplanned pregnancy alone is not. It takes two to tango and any man should stand by the commitment he makes the minute intercourse begins (regardless of contraceptive methods being used, pulling out etc - these are all fallible safeguards) to be their for any baby that results from his consensual sex with the woman.
Original post by MrMacho
I think any man who would be discussing the possibility of an abortion purely on the basis of it being an unplanned pregnancy needs to look himself in a mirror and ask what the ****. There are many reasonable reasons for an abortion (in my eyes at least, I'm aware others will disagree) - it being an unplanned pregnancy alone is not. It takes two to tango and any man should stand by the commitment he makes the minute intercourse begins (regardless of contraceptive methods being used, pulling out etc - these are all fallible safeguards) to be their for any baby that results from his consensual sex with the woman.

I agree with you :tongue: The problem is that many people like the idea of having intercourse but don't consider the consequences or any unfortunate 'accidents' that may occur. I assume if you were the woman, would you keep the baby? :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Lil3utterfly
I agree with you :tongue: The problem is that many people like the idea of having intercourse but don't consider the consequences or any unfortunate 'accidents' that may occur. I assume if you were the woman, would you keep the baby? :smile:

If I was the woman and I was able to (i.e not financially unable to do so, medically unable to do so or emotionally/mentally incapable of doing so) - I would feel obliged to keep the baby. As that's the standard I'd hold myself to it's the standard I'd be looking for in any partner.
I think it depends on his answer if you said you were going to keep it, would he support you or would he leave you?
My answer would be no I'm not having an abortion but he's free to leave if he doesn't want anything to do with it.

I don't think love could be measured based on this though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
As potentially unhelpful as this answer is... I'd make sure I used protection. It's not hard. (heh)

However, if there was a genuine accident, I would have to get an abortion and I wouldn't blame or think badly of the guy if he thought the same. I'm a full time student, with a part time job. I don't have the money, time, or stability for a baby.
Depends on the person, if I thought we could make it work raising a child together then sure I'd be happy with her keeping it, if I barely knew her or thought we wouldn't work then I would say it's up to them as long as they don't expect it to work out between us if they keep it.
Original post by MrMacho
If I was the woman and I was able to (i.e not financially unable to do so, medically unable to do so or emotionally/mentally incapable of doing so) - I would feel obliged to keep the baby. As that's the standard I'd hold myself to it's the standard I'd be looking for in any partner.

:smile: In that case, we hold a similar opinion.
Thanks for answering! :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending