maths physics economics and chemistry OR history in Alevels ?

Watch this thread
arrow_quiver
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I need help in choosing a fourth subject for Alevels. So far i have phy, math, eco and i plan to do something that requires both engineering and finance in thefuture. All the other students in my school with this combination have opted for chemistry whereas the guidance councellers have told me to take history because universities value it more ? But if i do take history won't chemistry be important for engineering ? They're saying unless you want to do chemical engineering then no. History does seem as it has more value but the thing that worries me is that i'll be needing chemistry more . Also which one would universities prefer more ? To make it clear I'm good at both of them(hist and chem) so either of them won't be much difficult for me i guess. I would be grateful if i can have this issue cleared .
Ibz_phoenix
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
If you are thinking of chemical engineering then definitely chemistry.
If this is not a consideration for you then it depends on two things; what you like better and find relatively easier.
Physics and maths are the main subjects that engineering require.
Maths and econ cover your finance side.

Some points to consider:

Chemistry
- STEM subject so it shows competence in science
- reputation of Arguably being the toughest a level due to how different the course is from GCSE
-good analytical subject. More numerically orientated as opposed to history

History
-Good for keeping you balanced.
-Improve your essay writing and evaluation skills.
-Relatively easier transition from GCSE

Decision is up to you ultimately however personally in your situation I would say chemistry.

Good luck mate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nymthae
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Either subject is fine, neither of them will give you an advantage in terms of an engineering application. Obviously, if chemical engineering is a consideration in any shape or form then chemistry is the necessary choice. The only other consideration I can think is if you decided against engineering - you may enjoy chemistry, as it is a reasonable subject (mathematical content, odd bits of physics) as a career route. Lots of chemistry graduates actually go into the finance sector because of the numerical content of the degree, so i'd wager chemistry is possibly a better choice in terms of keeping options open if "something" changes.

Basically, they don't care, just do well in it whichever.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (26)
17.81%
The paper was reasonable (65)
44.52%
Not feeling great about that exam... (25)
17.12%
It was TERRIBLE (30)
20.55%

Watched Threads