Applying to 2 different courses with 1 Personal Statement

Watch
DentistryWanabee
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I am planning to apply to Computer Science and Biomedical Science (apply for medicine postgraduate) but I have no idea how to go about writing my personal statement since both these courses are completely different! Do I just write about both in separate paragraphs/joint paragraphs or do I just focus on 1 course?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks
username1553267
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by DentistryWanabee)
I am planning to apply to Computer Science and Biomedical Science (apply for medicine postgraduate) but I have no idea how to go about writing my personal statement since both these courses are completely different! Do I just write about both in separate paragraphs/joint paragraphs or do I just focus on 1 course?

I believe you focus on one course. I think you will have to choose one or the other.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1553267
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Oh and also if you write about both of them it might make you look bad. Like it might make you look unsure of what you want to do in life. Plus they might think something like "oh, she is also interested in this other course, she doesnt care about this one"

Posted from TSR Mobile
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You can only study one degree. And you'll be studying it for 3 yrs minimum. Submitting a PS that tries to address these two subjects will end up with a PS that doesn't address either well (and so could force you into an unplanned gap year if you get 5 rejections and can't find a place in extra/clearing).

Try writing a separate PS for both subjects. Chances are you'll find one a lot easier to write than the other which might help you decide which to apply to. If that still doesn't help you decide then take your time. The deadline is not until January so use the time well to find out more about both subjects.
SlowlorisIncognito
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by DentistryWanabee)

Biomedical science and CompSci would need very different focuses in a personal statement, and with the tight character limit, you won't be able to discuss either subject properly or adequately. In addition, writing an PS that discusses two unrelated subjects does make you look less committed, and for some admissions tutors this would be seen as a major issue with your application.

You would have to chose between the courses at some stage anyway, so why not decide now? Or, if you really are struggling to decide, have you considered taking a gap year and getting work experience in each area to help you chose?
Roqia
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Same problem here .. applying for Medicine and Maths, do'nt know how to write my PS.

Does anybody know a forum where doctors can check your PS for you? HEard that something like that exists!
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Roqia)
Same problem here .. applying for Medicine and Maths, do'nt know how to write my PS.

Does anybody know a forum where doctors can check your PS for you? HEard that something like that exists!
Maths is far less common to apply for with maths. Your PS needs to focus solely on medicine
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (80)
61.54%
No (50)
38.46%

Watched Threads