The Student Room Group

Birmingham Medicine applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

So an A in English language will be automatically rejected? [I am an international student,and English is not my first language....]
Original post by JackTeh96
So an A in English language will be automatically rejected? [I am an international student,and English is not my first language....]

Maybe not in your case, give admissions a call
whats it like living in birmingham?
Hey, does anyone know the interview is like?
Is it just ethics based/MMI/etc?

x
Reply 24
Original post by radhikagulati
Hey, does anyone know the interview is like?
Is it just ethics based/MMI/etc?

x

Last year the Bham interview was MMI with six stations as follows,

Data interpretation
Motivation & insight into medicine
Dealing with personal & ethical challenges
Interactive task
Debate task
Ethics station

I don't know whether it will change this year. There should be interview information on the website.
Has anyone got any knowledge about subsequent emails after the email acknowledging the receipt of your application. Is the email stating "further consideration" generic or indicative of me reaching a second stage of some kind?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Original post by MrStealYourGirl
Has anyone got any knowledge about subsequent emails after the email acknowledging the receipt of your application. Is the email stating "further consideration" generic or indicative of me reaching a second stage of some kind?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If your application is successful after the selection procedure you will get an email inviting you to interview. Then you have to book your interview date on the web based sign-up system. Bham will email you log in details.

I suggest you book as soon as possible as the more favourable dates/times are taken quite quickly by applicants.
How are birmingham using the PS this year?
Reply 28
Is anyone here applying for GEM at BHAM?
Original post by MrStealYourGirl

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think maybe we've met the entry requirements and now they're looking at personal statement and academic strengths in order to decide who invite for interview?
I'm applying to Birmingham for medicine, I have an A* in Maths which I did in year 11 but I also did the same course in year 10 for early entry and got an A.

Will Birmingham use the A or A*? :/ Seeing as they give preference to people with an A* in Maths, Science and English?

Thank you in advance.
Original post by TheProblematique
I think maybe we've met the entry requirements and now they're looking at personal statement and academic strengths in order to decide who invite for interview?

They don't score the personal statement.
Original post by BrokenS0ulz
They don't score the personal statement.

Well they look for evidence of experience and non-academic criteria. So they don't really about how well you've written about it etc. they're just looking for some concrete evidence that you've done something as far as I can understand it. But they definitely do look at your personal statement.

"In deciding who to invite for interview, academic excellence is not the only criterion. It is equally important to demonstrate that you are well-motivated towards a career in medicine and able to show evidence that you will be able to acquire the values of the NHS (including, working together for patients, respect and dignity, commitment to quality of care), through people-focused work experience or volunteering.It is essential that you provide evidence of an understanding of working in a healthcare environment. The types of experience that we value include voluntary work in a nursing home, care home,hospice or hospital volunteer. We do not rank applications on the amount of experience that has been obtained except that we do expect that the time spent is indicated and that it is more than a two or three half days. Shadowing of doctors is not required and, though it has its benefits, we prefer active involvement.
We recognise that extracurricular involvement in areas outside of healthcare can supplement the development of the broader qualities required of a potential doctor. We especially appreciate non-academic experiences that take place outside of school (such as a job in a customer-focused role). Your activities should be on-going and involve significant interactions with a broad range of people in a responsible capacity.
If invited for interview, candidates may be asked to provide details of their work experience placements."

from http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/med/medicine.aspx#CourseDetailsTab
Has anyone else got an email about being referred to the admissions tutor for further consideration?
Reply 35
I got that email on the 10th,
does anyone know the approximate date last year when they started giving out interviews for birmingham?
Reply 36
Original post by hpcp
I got that email on the 10th,
does anyone know the approximate date last year when they started giving out interviews for birmingham?

Last year people were sent interview invites around November and had to book their preferred date online. I received my email for interview in December and booked my interview for March.
Reply 37
Original post by 0612
Last year people were sent interview invites around November and had to book their preferred date online. I received my email for interview in December and booked my interview for March.

thank you :smile:
is there a time period for example 18- 23rd nov for booking the interviews?
with the MMI, is their information for each station outside each one?
Reply 38
Just been rejected :frown: with no reason or anything! So I've emailed them asking for feedback.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by renren
Just been rejected :frown: with no reason or anything! So I've emailed them asking for feedback.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry to hear that. What are your stats?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending