The Student Room Group

Should I stay local or move away?

Hi
Im in my last year of sixth form and I want to study Religion and Theology at university. I really don't know if I should move away from home to study? The local university is about 30 min away and seems very nice , it means that I could still live in my flat above my parents business. This would also mean I wouldn't need a student loan AND I wouldn't feel home sick.

BUT I don't know if this would mean I miss out on a lot like freshers week and joining any societies? If anyone had the same sort of trouble please could you tell me what you did and if it was the right decision?

(side note: I can get into the local university with no hassle but its mid range in the ranks. I don't really want to sell myself short, but does it really matter where I got my degree from?)

Thanks
Reply 1
For starters, I don't think it matters where you got your degree from. It's more the class of degree. I would hope that when employers are looking at prospective employees they would look more at what you graduated WITH, not, WHERE you graduated from.

I'm about to start my second year, and I live at home with my parents, (my uni is about a 20-30 min drive away) All my friends moved away, and thought I was mad to stay at home. They said I wouldn't have the same "uni experience" etc. etc. however I'm pretty sure I've effectively proved them wrong.

I went to all of my Freshers Week events, getting a late bus up to uni and getting a taxi home, so I didn't miss out there. I joined a sports team, and would either just hang around at uni doing some work until training started, or would go home and come back on the bus. I also made some friends who lived in halls, so when we went on nights out they would let me just crash on their bedroom floor and I would get the bus home the next morning to save on taxi fares.

This summer I bought myself a car, which is going to make second year even easier as I don't have to stick to bus timetables etc. I can come and go as I please.

Personally, I think I would have actually enjoyed my first year of uni less if I had moved away. By staying at home, I don't have my Mum asking when I'm next coming home to visit all the time, I have been able to keep the part time job I had before I started uni which saved on job hunting, and being able to come home every day meant I wasn't permanently surrounded by students, which I liked as I quite enjoy having some time for myself and I like my privacy.

And lastly, I have saved so much money! I only had to take out a tuition fee loan (which I wouldn't have needed had the fees stayed at £3000 a year, damn British government -_-) and my part time job pays for things like my travel, any books I need etc.

Quick Reply

Latest