The Student Room Group

Girls, how do you feel when guys make comments about you on the road?

When guys say stuff like 'you're pretty' or 'nice t*ts', how do you feel at that moment? Angry,upset,indifferent?

My emotions range from an indifference to rage when this happens. Some days I'll be like 'meh. whatever' and other days I'll think 'shut the f**k up bitch' and on some days I just want to rip their heads off. Is that how people normally feel as well?
I'm ugly so it does not happen lol

Yay

Posted from TSR Mobile
It doesnt really happen to me much as i wear the hijab but it must feel degrading when you get stupid comments like that
Today a man shouted "You are beautiful" and I thanked him and smiled.
But if it's a comment like "Nice tits" I feel insulted and it's rather degrading.
I was once told by a complete stranger that I have "nice collar bones" and I didn't know how to react.

So it all depends on what they are saying. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Nav_Mallhi
But if it's a comment like "Nice tits" I feel insulted and it's rather degrading.
I was once told by a complete stranger that I have "nice collar bones" and I didn't know how to react.

Collar bones. hehe.

I don't react well to people I don't know speaking to me in any capacity. I just feel unsafe
Original post by FishLover
Collar bones. hehe.

I don't react well to people I don't know speaking to me in any capacity. I just feel unsafe

It was one of the weirdest compliments ever. He must have had a collar bone fetish or something. :laugh:

I don't usually say much. I just try and be polite. :smile:
Collar bones. hehe.

*secretnerd stares at fishlover for a while and then approaches her*
Heyyy buffting. Nice fingers

Spoiler

be honest you all enjoy the ego boost
Usually hideous, fat old men do this to women so I feel repulsed.
Depends what has been said and in what manner and setting, but my reaction is pretty much always negative and feeling vulnerable and disgusted.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
Well whilst not a gal I once forgot my window was open when I was at a set of traffic lights and said "she looks nice" to one of my friends. She having heard said comment looked over in our direction winked and carried on with a smile on her face.
When I'm complimented on the street I always reply politely because you never know where the complimenter is on the scale from nice guy to absolute psychopath.

I don't know how it makes me feel though, it normally just makes me laugh :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
When guys say stuff like 'you're pretty' or 'nice t*ts', how do you feel at that moment? Angry,upset,indifferent?

My emotions range from an indifference to rage when this happens. Some days I'll be like 'meh. whatever' and other days I'll think 'shut the f**k up bitch' and on some days I just want to rip their heads off. Is that how people normally feel as well?

Ahaaa, what, you mean like this?!! http://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2014/apr/04/everyday-sexism-turn-tables-women-men-video

That's a video to check out. ^

Like some other posters above have said, if someone calls you pretty or beautiful then it can be nice, but if its a bit more sexualised it can feel a bit degrading. An example of this is when you're just wearing a leather jacket and jeans and say some guys pull up, but they haven't even seen you from the front. Or when people look at your ass from behind and make their comments, I find that more degrading as its not a real attraction really, they're treating you like meat.

(As a side point, I have noticed, it pretty much does happen the most in the worst areas. One part of my area which is just oozing in poverty and crime, if you go there then you cant even take two steps without someone making an advance. I mean literally every man there will do it to you, as absurd as that sounds. Whereas in more refined areas men seem to know not to which is interesting as it shows it is something which is either socially encouraged or discouraged)

When it happens part of me feels angry that men know they can have that behaviour towards women, but its something men would find completely bizarre if it happened to them, as the video proves. It's something that's been normalised and engrained in society and that angle to it angers me because I know there is a lot more to both me and my girlfriends than our asses.

None of male friends engage in that sort of behaviour so I know all men don't do it but its still angering that some think they can get away with it.
(edited 9 years ago)

N'awwww you keep that going girl :wink: :biggrin:
Don't care for it. They make me laugh. The only time it annoys me is when my sister is with me because it's so awkward when she hears it.
Scallies shout things at guys as well. I used to find that when I was younger, especially in the age range of 16 to 21, I would get stuff shouted at me in cities quite a lot, but only if I was out on my own, usually it was from guys in cars driving past. You can never tell what they say, they just drive past and one sticks his head out of the window and shouts stuff.

As I've got older I've found I rarely get comments on the street. What's more common now, again only ever if I'm on my own, not in a group, is someone will come up to me in the street "excuse me....excuse me...." and invariably it is them asking for money, either they've lost their wallet and need to get the bus back somewhere so can they have a quid or they've been stranded by their mates and need to find somewhere for the night and could they have a couple of quid for a coffee etc.
Reply 16
most girls here probably dont get any attention from good looking males lol
Reply 17

Basically this,word for word.
Nothing wrong whatsoever with paying someone a compliment in a polite and friendly manner. I don't think many girls/guys mind being made aware that they're umm,aesthetically pleasant. But then comments that aim to cheapen you(i.e. "nice t*its";"she'd sooo get it" and whatever the male equivalent may be) are just plain rude and definitely qualify as harassment.

Quick Reply

Latest