PressTabStart
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
They were: AABBBBCDD1/2F (short-course RE)

The Ds were in Product Design and English Literature; the C is in Business Studies and the As are in Maths and Computing. I'm currently doing my A-levels (Maths, FM, Physics and Chemistry) and thinking of retaking both English GCSEs if possible, but I heard the 'cut-off' point is 5A*s-As. Can I retake an additional subject or two? I know the demand would be insane but I don't have really have a job yet and I'm willing to spend ~6 hrs a day on revision if necessary.

Not really confident in getting As in the English subjects (I write slow, my handwriting is awful to the point where it's 50% incomprehensible and I simply can't analyse texts). MIGHT be able to get an A in English Language if I really revised hard. I never really revised since I planned on getting much worse predicted and didn't really see the point, but I done better than expected- so, well, why not?

I don't know what to do yet... I might go on to do maths at uni since it's pretty much the only GCSE I was good at.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by PressTabStart)
They were: AABBBBCDD1/2F (short-course RE)

The Ds were in Product Design and English Literature; the C is in Business Studies and the As are in Maths and Computing. I'm currently doing my A-levels (Maths, FM, Physics and Chemistry) and thinking of retaking both English GCSEs if possible, but I heard the 'cut-off' point is 5A*s-As. Can I retake an additional subject or two? I know the demand would be insane but I don't have really have a job yet and I'm willing to spend ~6 hrs a day on revision if necessary.

Not really confident in getting As in the English subjects (I write slow, my handwriting is awful to the point where it's 50% incomprehensible and I simply can't analyse texts). MIGHT be able to get an A in English Language if I really revised hard. I never really revised since I planned on getting much worse predicted and didn't really see the point, but I done better than expected- so, well, why not?

I don't know what to do yet... I might go on to do maths at uni since it's pretty much the only GCSE I was good at.
On the fence on this one. Part of says go for it whilst the other part doesn't see the point. You have the vital C or above in English Language which is the one everywhere looks for as a minimum. The only thing I can say is if you do decide to retake English Lit then ask about using a laptop or computer for it.
PressTabStart
Rep:
?
(Original post by 8472)
On the fence on this one. Part of says go for it whilst the other part doesn't see the point. You have the vital C or above in English Language which is the one everywhere looks for as a minimum. The only thing I can say is if you do decide to retake English Lit then ask about using a laptop or computer for it.
Getting a C or above in lit would increase my chances of getting into uni. Also I think you have to retake both English GCSEs? If so I might as well improve my handwriting along with it and aim for an A in lang.
PressTabStart
Rep:
?
(Original post by STUDYREVISE)
Err, If your doing your A-Levels, why resit the GCSE's? Theyre over and done with, get over the grades and get them in your A-Levels.
Is there a certain career your thinking of? please specify
If I do good at A level maths and further maths, I might do it at uni as long as I get the chance. Never really thought beyond that.
PressTabStart
Rep:
?
Any additional input, please?
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by PressTabStart)
Any additional input, please?
Improving your English lit gcse grade might have a minuscule impact on your uni application, but probably not.
Using the time you might spend revising for gcse to improve one of your A levels by a single grade will have a massive impact on uni entrance. Those aren't awful gcse, focus on your A levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (157)
59.47%
No I haven't decided yet (61)
23.11%
Yes but I might change my mind (46)
17.42%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed