The Student Room Group

Biology degree from Oxford > biology degree from top Scottish unis??

I'll be applying for biology at university this year, and I've been considering applying for Oxford, but recently I'm having some massive second thoughts. Mainly, I'm thinking I might be better off staying in Scotland for a variety of reasons - lack of tuition fees (I know you don't pay it back until you're earning £21k but it still seems strange to voluntarily land myself with a bunch of debt when I could avoid it completely), much closer to family and friends (cost of transport back home from Oxford is a big concern of mine), and perhaps most importantly I think I prefer the 4 year Scottish degree structure which would allow me to explore areas outside my degree subject in the first few years, which I couldn't do with the Oxford course.
I got AAAAA at Higher this year so I could potentially get an unconditional offer from a Scottish uni based on that, whereas with Oxford (provided I was even made an offer) I'd have the added task of achieving AA at Advanced Higher next year, and of course I'd have to finish my ucas application much earlier and go through an interview etc etc - so I think since applying to Oxford is such a competitive process, I'd have to be really sure it's what I want, and lately I'm not.
I do really like Oxford, as a town and as a university, and I'd hate to regret not making an application, but I'm worried I'm being blinded by its reputation - I love the idea of studying there, but if I'm honest I don't think the course really fits my needs. My teachers and friends and pretty much everyone is encouraging me to make an application anyway, as I think they see an Oxford degree as massively superior to one from, say, Edinburgh uni, and as completely worth the tuition fees etc. Would you say this is true? I want to achieve the best I possibly can, but surely I'd still gain a great and well-respected degree from somewhere like Edinburgh? Would a degree from Oxford really make so much difference?
I'm sorry this is so long and rambling but I'm very aware that the deadline is next month for applying to Oxbridge so I'm pretty stressed and I have no idea what would be best for me or what I really want to do. Any advice?
You may as well apply. Personally if I were Scottish and applying for uni this year I'd ask if I could decide re oxford or not until after the referendum result and let that decide for me.
Reply 2
Original post by RibenaRockstar
You may as well apply. Personally if I were Scottish and applying for uni this year I'd ask if I could decide re oxford or not until after the referendum result and let that decide for me.

If I have my personal statement and stuff ready in time for the deadline I might just go for it but the way things are going that seems doubtful :frown: But yeah, that's a good point. Although my worry is that we won't know for quite some time how exactly studying in England would work out in an independent Scotland - like, whether or not I'd pay international fees depends on whether or not Scotland is in the EU I guess :dontknow:
Reply 3
go to london met mate its pretty good there like
Reply 4
Sounds like you kinda take top Scottish unis for granted.
Tbh, even with this whole independence malarkey aside, I would still advise you to lean towards the Scottish unis. It sounds like you would save the baggage that is student debt, plus you prefer the course style and structure.

That's not to say you should rule out Oxford entirely. But it is a LOT of money to get into debt for. I'm not a scientist, so I don't know what the difference is in prestige or job prospects, but I can't imagine it being significant :nah:
Original post by claclaire
I'll be applying for biology at university this year, and I've been considering applying for Oxford, but recently I'm having some massive second thoughts. Mainly, I'm thinking I might be better off staying in Scotland for a variety of reasons - lack of tuition fees (I know you don't pay it back until you're earning £21k but it still seems strange to voluntarily land myself with a bunch of debt when I could avoid it completely), much closer to family and friends (cost of transport back home from Oxford is a big concern of mine), and perhaps most importantly I think I prefer the 4 year Scottish degree structure which would allow me to explore areas outside my degree subject in the first few years, which I couldn't do with the Oxford course.
I got AAAAA at Higher this year so I could potentially get an unconditional offer from a Scottish uni based on that, whereas with Oxford (provided I was even made an offer) I'd have the added task of achieving AA at Advanced Higher next year, and of course I'd have to finish my ucas application much earlier and go through an interview etc etc - so I think since applying to Oxford is such a competitive process, I'd have to be really sure it's what I want, and lately I'm not.
I do really like Oxford, as a town and as a university, and I'd hate to regret not making an application, but I'm worried I'm being blinded by its reputation - I love the idea of studying there, but if I'm honest I don't think the course really fits my needs. My teachers and friends and pretty much everyone is encouraging me to make an application anyway, as I think they see an Oxford degree as massively superior to one from, say, Edinburgh uni, and as completely worth the tuition fees etc. Would you say this is true? I want to achieve the best I possibly can, but surely I'd still gain a great and well-respected degree from somewhere like Edinburgh? Would a degree from Oxford really make so much difference?
I'm sorry this is so long and rambling but I'm very aware that the deadline is next month for applying to Oxbridge so I'm pretty stressed and I have no idea what would be best for me or what I really want to do. Any advice?

I would apply, just to give you the option to decide. I wouldn't say an Oxford degree in biology is much more respected than one from Edinburgh. Most people in bio go into some form of research or job and in both cases where you do your undergrad doesn't matter when its between 2 top unis. It may even be easier to get a 1st at Edinburgh, making it worthwhile and cheaper. Most famous researchers got their bachelor's at a good local uni, if they do end up at Oxbridge it is usually for their PhD or Post-doc.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Hicko
go to london met mate its pretty good there like

great banter!

top class

excellent
Reply 8
Won't drastically improve your prospects or anything. I imagine you'll be looking at a technical job (i.e. with biology) so they tend to assess you based on your individual knowledge and skills. An employer is never going to assume you're the best candidate without checking just because your degree is from Oxford. Same hoops to jump through as with everyone else. Edinburgh is a fantastic university so I wouldn't worry.

If you can avoid the debt, I would. Sure it's not the sort of debt that leaves you in poverty, but i'd rather have that extra bit of money still on my pay slip at the end of the month. Enough of it disappears to taxes and NI already...
Reply 9
Original post by physicso
great banter!

top class

excellent

got green things for it mate so it must be
Reply 10
Original post by Nottie
Sounds like you kinda take top Scottish unis for granted.

What do you mean? There are a lot of really great Scottish unis and I in no way meant to undermine them, I'm just trying to figure out what's best for me. Sorry if it seemed otherwise.
Original post by Hicko
got green things for it mate so it must be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBWuDhIv9B0
Reply 12

i have an a level in banter m8
Reply 13
Original post by claclaire
What do you mean? There are a lot of really great Scottish unis and I in no way meant to undermine them, I'm just trying to figure out what's best for me. Sorry if it seemed otherwise.

I Meant that you think you will get into top Scottish uni for sure whole Oxford is dangerous to apply
Reply 14
Original post by Nottie
I Meant that you think you will get into top Scottish uni for sure whole Oxford is dangerous to apply

?? I don't think that? I just mean I would have a higher chance of getting into a Scottish uni with the grades I already have because they already meet the entrance requirements, but that's not the case at all with Oxford.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending