The Student Room Group

pep talk

hey, i know this is a lot to ask of strangers, but if there's anyone out there right now who is willing.... i really need a pep talk to go on with my life.

ive just started my A2s and i am more scared of the upcoming year than i have ever been in my life. i used to have confidence in myself and i didnt really have a concept of failure. i got all A*/A at gcse and was AAAB at AS and was all geared up to try for and english degree at oxford and other top unis, but
my motivation and self belief has just collapsed. imm so miserable every day and im confused and i hate working but i also hate not working and im scared of uni and scared of A2s because everyone says theyre so much harder and everyone seems so optimistic and i just feel ruined and not a day goes by when im just so scared and
i think i do have the capability to pull off this year and get what i need, but i just dont have the mental fortitude any more. im so tired of it to the extent that my mum suggested i consider alternatives to uni and even dropping out of sixth form, but i cant, because thats even more worthless than an english degree haha
i do want to go to uni but that part of me has been buried in fear and i just am so overwhelmed and feel sick thinking about exams and hate myself when i dont spend every hour studying
Ok, I'm going to start by saying I'm in a similar(ish) situation and I know how you feel. I also got AAAB at AS and I want to go to Cambridge, then I discovered only 18% of applicants get in for my course.

Start with the easiest work you've got to do, or your favourite subject, get some decent music on and just chill whist working. You will clearly cope with A2s based on the grades you've got as long as you just carry on. Other people should be irrelevant to you, it doesn't matter how they feel, focus on yourself, it's your life.

That was a pretty **** pep talk, but to be honest it was better than my original reply of "lol, same here."
thank you for responding, it is good to not feel alone in stuff. thank you.
hey, we both can do this! yeah? yeaaah.
Reply 3
Original post by EmergencyBagels
hey, i know this is a lot to ask of strangers, but if there's anyone out there right now who is willing.... i really need a pep talk to go on with my life.

ive just started my A2s and i am more scared of the upcoming year than i have ever been in my life. i used to have confidence in myself and i didnt really have a concept of failure. i got all A*/A at gcse and was AAAB at AS and was all geared up to try for and english degree at oxford and other top unis, but
my motivation and self belief has just collapsed. imm so miserable every day and im confused and i hate working but i also hate not working and im scared of uni and scared of A2s because everyone says theyre so much harder and everyone seems so optimistic and i just feel ruined and not a day goes by when im just so scared and
i think i do have the capability to pull off this year and get what i need, but i just dont have the mental fortitude any more. im so tired of it to the extent that my mum suggested i consider alternatives to uni and even dropping out of sixth form, but i cant, because thats even more worthless than an english degree haha
i do want to go to uni but that part of me has been buried in fear and i just am so overwhelmed and feel sick thinking about exams and hate myself when i dont spend every hour studying

Stay clam and chin up!

Write down everything you're worried about and need to do on a piece of paper. Take some time out after that, listen to some music, watch a TV program or go for a quick walk. Return to the list. Work through the items one by one thinking only of one at a time.

If you ever want to let everything out, rage or alike just PM me :h:
Life story time! (I'll pop it in a spoiler as to not make it difficult to scroll past)

Spoiler

If you feel horrible and demotivated, I find the best thing to do is not struggle through it and take a break from work. Try and clear through your homework (even if you feel like you're not giving it your all) as early as possible, and then just relax (take a cheeky day off if you really need to). Don't worry about the fact you're not working as hard as you feel you should be, and take a break.

Take it one day at a time. If you sit back and don't work so hard for a week, it's not the end of the world, and your mental health will benefit from it. Try and talk to someone at your sixth form about how you feel, and they may be able to help.

Ultimately, the main aim is to remember that your mental health becomes before any grades. There's no shame in having to retake, and a bad mark in that one essay that one time isn't the end of the world. You can always claw back lost time, so don't think about the future, think about today, tomorrow, the next week.

Quick Reply

Latest