The Student Room Group

A level art

I picked textiles as a GCSE and got a A. For a level I picked art and our topic is "flesh" I haven't made a sketch book before and I honestly don't know what to do. Right now it's just sticking in drawings from class. I don't know what to write and annotate. Is this anything I can write about e.g. Artists and primary data? Please help my sketchbook is awful
Reply 1
Original post by Maryamm98
I picked textiles as a GCSE and got a A. For a level I picked art and our topic is "flesh" I haven't made a sketch book before and I honestly don't know what to do. Right now it's just sticking in drawings from class. I don't know what to write and annotate. Is this anything I can write about e.g. Artists and primary data? Please help my sketchbook is awful

You'll have to talk with your teacher about that as each sixth form will require you to do different stuff.

For me personally, I did not do no annotation at all: my artist research was pretty much just a picture of an artist work.

If you want to annotate, talk about the material they used, why it is suitable and the effect it gives. Art is pretty much subjective and mostly about how you feel so right how the image make you feel and why it relevant to your work.
Reply 2

Primary data refers to pictures you've taken, mention why it's relevant to your work and what are you planning on doing with it and how maybe.

Your sketchbook is supposed to reflect the journey you went throughout the year, so along with your artist research include some practice pieces e.g. a page on blending technique to create different flesh tones.

If you don't know what to do look at others sketchbook
http://www.studentartguide.com/articles/art-sketchbook-ideas
http://www.pinterest.com/studentartguide/beautiful-a-level-art/
Reply 3

Omg, I wish you all the best. I practically died at GCSE art, I have sworn never to go back. For you to do A level art. You are in my prayers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Norin
Omg, I wish you all the best. I practically died at GCSE art, I have sworn never to go back. For you to do A level art. You are in my prayers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't discourage the OP yet! He/She only just started...
Reply 5

For AS & A Level your annotations and research is key.

For artist research you should include: artist name, date of birth, place of birth, education history, what artist movement they belong to, art acknowledgements and awards, media choice, subject matter, what the artists pieces generally consist of, inspirations and influences to the artist, key elements of their work you have picked up on (e.g expressive brush strokes, texture, colour use, distortion etc) and most importantly your personal response to the artist. The personal response is of the most importance, I would recommend you to write about why you selected them, what your personal opinion on the work is, how it could relate to your title etc. as an additional bonus if you find any relevant quotations from the artist they are always useful to incorporate into your research pages.

General annotations of work are fairly obvious. Just talk about what you have done, your reasons why and how pleased you are with the piece and how it could be further improved.

Hope I managed to help in some way!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest