The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Birkenhead
Then what was the meaning of this, if not to suggest that the actions of the IRA should prevent us from considering letting Ireland back into the union despite the innocence of the vast majority?

You don't seem to care that that is incompatible with my views that Irish people shouldn't get judged for the actions of the IRA.
Original post by Snagprophet
You don't seem to care that that is incompatible with my views that Irish people shouldn't get judged for the actions of the IRA.

Your own post is incompatible with your own views? It's time to stop posting.
Original post by silverbolt
You lot werent innocent little victims know, Paisley and the likes of UVF did thier fair share as well

True, as did the British army with bloody Sunday etc. I'm not necessarily on anybody's side; it isn't (or wasn't) a straightforward good vs. evil conflict like WW2.

A century? Try 8 of them. With greater degree of control as the centuries led on.

And the point is moot anyway as the article isnt true.

I was going back to 1801, since the acts of union created the UK in 1707 and Ireland wasn't part of it until 1801. You could go all the way back to Cromwell and before, but it would be a bit, well, ancient history, though still relevant to some people I suppose.
Original post by That Bearded Man
Yes, because Ireland suffered immensely at the hands of the Black and Tans, plus the Great Famine which wasn't helped by Britains lack of assistance.

Weren't the Black and Tans more of a response to the move for independence during WW1? I agree that the famine played a huge part.
Original post by That Bearded Man
No, we don't have peace and prosperity, Northern Ireland is stuck in an uneasy peace because both sides distrusted the other. Nationalists had no trust in their biased, unrepresentative Stormont, hence violence was their only option. Before they started however, Loyalists armed and linked with the RUC to instill fear into Nationalist communities to accept the Union.

Besides, if we united, I'm not sure either DUP or Sinn Fein would be particularly ecstatic.

Forget what Sinn Fein thinks, I'd be more interested in what the Irish public thought. If they want to stay independent, a union should not be forced on them.

We have relative peace and prosperity. People aren't being murdered all the time, and life is relatively free. Of course there are still problems, especially in places like Belfast, but "problems" does not mean conflict, and imposing yet more massive change (and a reversal to the past) would be destructive, not constructive.
Original post by Obiejess
My ancestors died to save Ireland from Brittania's grasp. Why the **** would anyone want to join the ****hole that is Britain?

Posted from TSR Mobile

truest words spoken so far.

Original post by felamaslen
Weren't the Black and Tans more of a response to the move for independence during WW1? I agree that the famine played a huge part.

No they came after WW1 during the war for independance. Made up of WW1 veterans adn assorted scum - they were to assist the RIC (royal irish constabularly) in dealing with the IRA. They were the brainchild of winston churchill and a bunch of raping thieving brutalising slime.

They burned down my local village in 1920
Original post by silverbolt
No they came after WW1 during the war for independance. Made up of WW1 veterans adn assorted scum - they were to assist the RIC (royal irish constabularly) in dealing with the IRA. They were the brainchild of winston churchill and a bunch of raping thieving brutalising slime.

They burned down my local village in 1920

Sure, but the move for independence came during WW1 with the Easter rising in 1916; I doubt that had WW1 not occurred (and I am very anti-WW1 by the way, but for different reasons), Ireland would have been independent so soon. It probably would have gained independence some time between 1922 and 1947 (1947 was the beginning of the end of imperialism). Then again, if WW1 had not occurred then imperialism would have lasted longer too, but that's going way off topic.

I actually sympathise with the IRA's early struggle for independence, but they kind of ruined it with their support for the Nazis and their campaign of violence against civilians and democratic politicians during the Troubles (indeed they became the root cause of the Troubles, and whatever grievances they had did not justify what they did during that time.)
(edited 9 years ago)
I think the uk is a different and better place today. Most of the things achieved on a global scale were done when the British Isles were united.

With the uk heading for a federal kingdom all of the countries would have a level of autonomy, but together they could influence the world to become a better place.

Ireland and the uk are heavily dependent on each other so let's get it on. If England is spit into its regions, no Counrty would control the UK, however as a whole we would punch above our weight globally.
How Great that would be. For the United Kingdom to be one.
Together with our Australian Canadian New Zealand and Commonwealth bothers and sisters
We can stand as one Unit with a strong Military Defence / Economy / Trade
Island as done itself no favours becoming apart of the European Euro Zone movement.
Would have been better if they took the UK pound as part as the UK whilst still keeping the President.
69 million supporting each other / pension
Where there is a will there is a way.
But this is something the Republic of Island need to decide for themselves.
themselves. I guess most of the UK would more than welcome Island to the fold.
Better they leave the Euro and with the UK leave the European Union.
If there is one thing one should have learnt by now. Is that 28 all agreeing for anything to get done will never work. Ex specially now Russia as Greece / Hungary and Cyprus under its influence.
UK isn't even independent thanks to the EUSSR. I suppose he's just seeing the economic benefit but ignores all the negatives.
This is an old thread and based on an article that isn't true, but this really would be a punch to the face to everyone who ever fought for Irish Independence if Ireland ever did rejoin the union.
Will be a bigger punch in the face when Island becomes a Federal Europe.
As it most for the Euro Zone project to survive long term.
Any fool can see that.
Better to get out while Island still as enough Citizens to do so.
Free movement of people are like locus, moving on mass to a fresher field.
One day you will realise that the road you are on does not guarantee independence.
The UK will not be a part of the EU this time next year. I will guarantee it.
The Russia / Ukrainian thing as opened many eyes that was closed.

I would go as far as to say we have witnessed the beginning of the break up of the EU.
Original post by para commando
Will be a bigger punch in the face when Island becomes a Federal Europe.
As it most for the Euro Zone project to survive long term.
Any fool can see that.
Better to get out while Island still as enough Citizens to do so.
Free movement of people are like locus, moving on mass to a fresher field.
One day you will realise that the road you are on does not guarantee independence.

There's a big difference between being invaded than democratically elected politicians acting in (what they think is) the best interests of their country.
I think the struggle for Irish independence hinged a lot more on mistreatment by the British, which instilled the resentment towards the Brits. The campaign for independence wouldn't have been as long if the Brits treated the Irish as equals.
no, Ireland should stay seperate.
Possibly our hatred for what your evil empire did to our nation all the pillage and murder. Partition at gunpoint making it a crime to speak in our native tongue. Why would we want to be ruled by foreigners it makes no sense whatsoever
Reply 58
Original post by patrickhenry12
Possibly our hatred for what your evil empire did to our nation all the pillage and murder. Partition at gunpoint making it a crime to speak in our native tongue. Why would we want to be ruled by foreigners it makes no sense whatsoever

Just out of interest, what is your opinion of Ireland being a member of the EU?
It won't happen, we have different histories, cultures, economies. Better to be independent but close friends, however I think they should rejoin the Commonwealth. Relations between Ireland and the UK are extraordinarily good now.

Latest

Trending

Trending