Is NCS/Duke of Edinburgh important (& which one's better?)

Watch
elmosandy
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
username1333513
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No, however it looks good on UCAS applications, so if you want to make it good, you should go for it however that's completely up to you. Imo, I think DofE looks better than NCS, and I've heard that NCS isn't that great but take it with a grain of salt
Mariee16
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Personally, i'd say DofE sounds much better.
TheBluePianist
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I agree with the user above about DofE looks better than NCS. However, I did NCS in the summer and found it quite fun .
Its_Tito
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
NCS is a lot more about personal skills and building who you are as a person, how you see things and people and all that kind of thing. A lot of my friends have done both, and found NCS as being incredibly fun, just about meeting new people and trying new things....I think I'll do it next summer.

However, I've done DofE Bronze and came back from my DofE Silver practice expedition this afternoon and it looks better on your application and all that, and it does also develop you. Volunteering, Skill and Fitness cover a good number of things that you can do and can help you develop, but it's not as much meeting new people as NCS is.

It depends what kind of person you are, research them both more and see if you can make a decision.
BWCW
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Neither are necessary to get into university, if that's what you're thinking! I know people who have done them and enjoyed them, but equally thought that it gave them no discernible advantage in the long run. Lots and lots of people have DofE Bronze, so you might want to look at the higher levels if you want to stand out. DofE seems a bit more 'rounded' and a bit more respected than NCS, but whatever floats your boat really. If you don't want to do all of the components involved in the DofE, go for NCS.
elmosandy
Rep:
?
(Original post by BWCW)
Neither are necessary to get into university, if that's what you're thinking! I know people who have done them and enjoyed them, but equally thought that it gave them no discernible advantage in the long run. Lots and lots of people have DofE Bronze, so you might want to look at the higher levels if you want to stand out. DofE seems a bit more 'rounded' and a bit more respected than NCS, but whatever floats your boat really. If you don't want to do all of the components involved in the DofE, go for NCS.

Would they choose people who did DofE/NCS over a person who didn't?
Barbarian King
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by elmosandy)
I was in the CCF for 3 years, so...
Just because one didn't do NCS/DoE, doesn't mean they didn't do any other extra curricular.
BWCW
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by elmosandy)
Depends on what/where you're applying to. I can't speak for universities, but I doubt it plays a big role in decision-making for the very competitive unis, where extra-curricular tends to take more of a back seat. As long as you have the grades they're looking for, you're in with a chance. I know some unis do like extra curriculars, but in the end it usually comes down to academics.
coldhell
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I don't think it plays a large role when applying to unis; however you should try it! Seriously you should try it! I wasn't very keen with volunteering at first as I don't know much about it but now I volunteer loads and I really enjoy. I think DofE pushes you to try new things such as a new skill or something I haven't ever done before such as hiking which I did for my expedition
elmosandy
Rep:
?
(Original post by coldhell)
I don't think it plays a large role when applying to unis; however you should try it! Seriously you should try it! I wasn't very keen with volunteering at first as I don't know much about it but now I volunteer loads and I really enjoy. I think DofE pushes you to try new things such as a new skill or something I haven't ever done before such as hiking which I did for my expedition

Oh.. & well the sad thing is that i'm doing Arts Awards and they were on the UCAS table but when I apply to uni(2016) the Arts Awards won't count anymore because of the changes which would have made me stand out but oh well.. I do extra-curricular things aswell I guess

Thankyou&thanks to everyone above, I would want to do something like DofE/NCS but not DofE/NCS if you get what I mean haha
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (64)
14.78%
I'm not sure (16)
3.7%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (146)
33.72%
I have already dropped out (7)
1.62%
I'm not a current university student (200)
46.19%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise