The Student Room Group

Further maths AS modules

I am currently in year 13 and this year I am going to be teaching myself further maths AS and I want to pick the easiest modules so that I can get an A
in Normal maths I am doing c1-4, S1 and M1
what modules should I pick to do alongside FP1?
D1 and D2 or some combination of D1,S2 and M2
Original post by Gregpollen
I am currently in year 13 and this year I am going to be teaching myself further maths AS and I want to pick the easiest modules so that I can get an A

If you want it to be easy, pick the ones that you would find easiest - but also would enjoy! Enjoying the module might be the difference between those few UMS that help you get to next grade, as it might make revision easier for you.

If you like logic, decision maths would be good. If you like problem solving and physics, mechanics might be best for you. Then, if you like data representation, probability and testing different hypothesises, statistics might be best for you.

I'd say pick what you enjoy the most, as you're more likely to find that 'easier'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2

Why do you want to "pick the easiest modules"? If you want an easy life, then don't do FM at all!!

I would suggest choosing modules that are appropriate for your intended course of study.

For maths/physics/egineering you want as much FP and M as possible,

For medicine/social sciences/economics, the FP and S modules are useful.

The D modules are of extremely limited value, but it's your choice at the end of the day :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by kingaaran
If you want it to be easy, pick the ones that you would find easiest - but also would enjoy! Enjoying the module might be the difference between those few UMS that help you get to next grade, as it might make revision easier for you.

If you like logic, decision maths would be good. If you like problem solving and physics, mechanics might be best for you. Then, if you like data representation, probability and testing different hypothesises, statistics might be best for you.

I'd say pick what you enjoy the most, as you're more likely to find that 'easier'.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok then I'm probably gonna choose d1 and m2 as I like logic and I'm doing physics a level, thanks for the help
Original post by davros
Why do you want to "pick the easiest modules"? If you want an easy life, then don't do FM at all!!

I would suggest choosing modules that are appropriate for your intended course of study.

The D modules are of extremely limited value, but it's your choice at the end of the day :smile:

prsom
Reply 5
Original post by davros

The reason for the easiest modules was because I want to do mathematics at university but I need at least an A in AS further maths in order to be considered for the university's that I want to go to
thanks for the advice though I'll talk to my head of maths about this and let him make the final decision
Ok then I'm probably gonna choose d1 and m2 as I like logic and I'm doing physics a level, thanks for the help

You need to be aware that many students who self-teach D1 do badly at it. This is because they don't apply algorithms properly and/or they don't write enough down.
Reply 7
The reason for the easiest modules was because I want to do mathematics at university but I need at least an A in AS further maths in order to be considered for the university's that I want to go to
thanks for the advice though I'll talk to my head of maths about this and let him make the final decision

So you want to do mathematics at university, which happens to be a pretty tough course. But you don't want to encounter any "tough" modules at FM?

You need to have a very serious think about whether mathematics is the right course for you at uni. Uni maths is very different from, and a lot more demanding than, A level maths. It's a great subject to study if you have the willpower and commitment, but it doesn't have any "easy" options :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by tiny hobbit
You need to be aware that many students who self-teach D1 do badly at it. This is because they don't apply algorithms properly and/or they don't write enough down.

I can get myself into 1 year 12 further maths lesson per week during my free lessons, however most of my learning will be self taught
would 1 lesson per week be enough to prevent me from doing this?

I'm also in year 13 doing the same thing as you. I have chosen to do FP1, S2 and Numerical Methods (as I have a teacher for this). I got an A last year and I'm doing S1 in class and I did M1 last year, theres not a lot to know but the ways they can ask you a question, so just practice that
Reply 10
Original post by davros
So you want to do mathematics at university, which happens to be a pretty tough course. But you don't want to encounter any "tough" modules at FM?

You need to have a very serious think about whether mathematics is the right course for you at uni. Uni maths is very different from, and a lot more demanding than, A level maths. It's a great subject to study if you have the willpower and commitment, but it doesn't have any "easy" options :smile:

The tough stuff is the reason why I like maths, I enjoy the challenge
it just that I don't want to pick any tougher modules and risk my chances of getting into my preferred university

Which unis are you applying to? I'm in the same situation as you but doing S2 and M2
Reply 12
Original post by lightningdoritos
Which unis are you applying to? I'm in the same situation as you but doing S2 and M2

My top 3 unis are Cambridge, Warwick and bath and I am unsure about the other ones as I haven't made up my mind yet
My top 3 unis are Cambridge, Warwick and bath and I am unsure about the other ones as I haven't made up my mind yet

Are you doing STEP or AEA? You won't get into a top uni with D1....or at least it's gonna be very unlikely
Reply 14

Unless you have very good reasons, you can forget Cambridge and Warwick without full A2 FM if it's offered by your school. And they will seriously not be impressed by a choice of the decision modules over mechanics / stats. And you will also need to prepare for the STEP entrance exam. And the Decision modules are of no use as preparation for STEP as it only tests Core/Mech/Stats!

You need to talk this through with your head of maths and understand what you're getting into here and what your options are.
Reply 15
Original post by lightningdoritos
Are you doing STEP or AEA? You won't get into a top uni with D1....or at least it's gonna be very unlikely

Probably STEP because I have never heard of AEA before
Reply 16
Off to bed now guys, thanks for all your advice
it appears I need to have a long talk with my head of maths tomorrow
Original post by tiny hobbit

It is not really fair to generalise.

Also for STEP D1 and D2 are not (that)helpful (all maths is helpful but you will find that while there are stats and mechanics questions on STEP there are no questions for which you need decision maths)
Original post by tombayes
It is not really fair to generalise.

Also for STEP D1 and D2 are not (that)helpful (all maths is helpful but you will find that while there are stats and mechanics questions on STEP there are no questions for which you need decision maths)

On your first comment, I was basing what I said on the many posters on TSR over the years who have self-taught D1, typically stating "there was noone at my school who can teach it", and then did far worse in it than in their other, tougher modules.

I'm not sure why you are telling me your second comment, as I am well aware of this and haven't said anything to the contrary.

Quick Reply

Latest