The Student Room Group

Why are Londoners always so confident?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by bananaminion
Haha East London especially, spread out guys! ..two of my grandparents are as well :P

Cc not white East Londoner.

Feels good man.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well I'm a Londoner and Londoners aren't always super confident, I don't really understand where you're getting this perception from to be honest. Generally we're a moody bunch. Hooray for congestion and ridiculous overpopulation.
Uhhhhh.. yeah?

I thought so, you like like the girl from it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ggmu!
Cc not white East Londoner.

Feels good man.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cc...? Is this some slang I've missed out on? Maybe some slang that hit London when I was a baby but has only just reached other parts of the country?..:tongue:
I'm sure I'd love whatever you're saying but I'm confuzzled ahaa
Original post by robrob9595
I thought so, you like like the girl from it

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sorry, "the girl from it"? That's me you're talking about, pssh rude.
I'm sorry, "the girl from it"? That's me you're talking about, pssh rude.

Hang on are we talking about the same thing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Cc...? Is this some slang I've missed out on? Maybe some slang that hit London when I was a baby but has only just reached other parts of the country?..:tongue:
I'm sure I'd love whatever you're saying but I'm confuzzled ahaa

Cc is can confirm. That's regular Internet talk :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Because London is the greatest city in the UK and one of the most exciting places in the world to live (as has been mentioned a few times here already). It's vibrant, energetic, fast-moving and there's so much happening that there are sometimes not enough hours in the day to enjoy myself enough. I've lived in London for 20 years and there is still so much I haven't seen, so many places I've never been to because the city evolves before your eyes every single day. Theoretically one could live in London for their entire life and never ever get bored or want anything new - everything you could possibly need is right there inside the M25.

There's also an immense feeling of pride and community when you live in London and that might be where the confidence comes from. When you live in such a magnificent city and other people seem to be impressed with the fact that you've been brought up in the most enviable location in the UK. It can be difficult going to school in inner-city London but overall, living there is second-to-none and I hate to imagine what my life could have been like had I not been brought to London (I lived in Scotland for the first year of my life - that would have sucked)! London is where I've had my upbringing, my education and some of the best times of my life - hence London is a part of me. :smile: It's the city I know so well, the city I love and the only place in the UK where I want to live (should I not achieve a job abroad in hotter climates).

Hopefully you can understand why we Londoners are so confident - it's because we are so proud and we love our city to death. A part of me died when I left London for medical school. :s-smilie:
(edited 9 years ago)
London is a s** hole overcrowded smelly place
(edited 9 years ago)
Not really, Londoners have a false sense of self esteem.

They are "well dressed" because they are indebted up to their balls just to keep up with the locals.
Reply 30
Original post by _icecream
London is a s** hole overcrowded smelly place

So much butthurt. Not having enough fun embracing the smell of organic fertilizers and tending to the cattle? :teehee:

It's because we're awesome OP.
Haha East London especially, spread out guys! ..two of my grandparents are as well :P

North West London, Wembley and Harrow in particular, is India Town. :biggrin:
I guess when you live in the capital you have to keep your guard up and have your wits about you. I have friends from various parts of London, and most of them are confident and it's a really admirable quality imo :smile:
Original post by A100whoo
High self esteem, chatty, well dressed...

That's the thing though, they're extremely chatty with each other but if you've got an accent that places you anywhere north of about Watford Gap and go to London a lot of the locals will look at you like an alien and ignore you.

There's a lot of normal decent people there that are confident (as there are anywhere) but the stereotypical high self esteem, well dressed cockney type are appearing confident because it's very easy to act like you're the centre of the universe when you don't have to act and actually genuinely believe it, as some of them appear to.
Reply 34
Ok, I know not ALL Londoners are confident, but like 95% of all the people I know from London are very confident people. And I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this and what the explanation for this is?!

And how do the people at your side behave?
Reply 35
Lol you're thinking about Central London. Come to the other areas and you'll see that we're just as common as non-Londoners.
High self esteem, chatty, well dressed...

It's partly social pressure, a kind of Darwinian thing - there is simply a lot more competition, so people strive to dress well, be in-fashion and look cool, etc. Also I think in big cities people tend to be more extrovert, not always, but social skills are more emphasised because you tend to be more in the mix and under pressure to perform. However, there are definitely non-cool introverts in London as well. :smile:
Original post by robrob9595
Hang on are we talking about the same thing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

... probably not tbh
Original post by WorstUNameEver
North West London, Wembley and Harrow in particular, is India Town. :biggrin:

Well Stratford, East Ham, Forest Gate, Ilford etc, is Pakistan and Bangladesh, bordering on Bulgaria!
Original post by Ggmu!
Cc is can confirm. That's regular Internet talk :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ohhhhh, I.. knew that.
Original post by Bill_Gates
Not really, Londoners have a false sense of self esteem.

They are "well dressed" because they are indebted up to their balls just to keep up with the locals.

So we're "well dressed" to keep up with ourselves? Londoners are the locals...
Well Stratford, East Ham, Forest Gate, Ilford etc, is Pakistan and Bangladesh, bordering on Bulgaria!

Ohhhhh, I.. knew that.

So we're "well dressed" to keep up with ourselves? Londoners are the locals...

South Harrow is a combination of Jamaica and Africa and Sri Lanka, tbh Wembley is an all in one.

Quick Reply

Latest