The Student Room Group

International and placement years on university courses?

I'm thinking of doing computer science at uni, and I'm applying to Southampton, Birmingham, Warwick, Nottingham, and Bath or Bristol. I'm definitely interested in doing a year of something (industry or abroad) and I'm aware you can apply for one straight through UCAS (e.g. I101 or something for a year abroad course). I was just wondering, does this tie you in to doing the year abroad/in industry? Can you still apply to do years abroad/in industry with the uni even if you just apply for the standard course through UCAS? Which is the best option? Thanks
It's likely that this will vary from uni to uni. In order to be sure of being allowed to have a year in industry or a year abroad, you would need to apply to that specific course. Some universities do offer optional years abroad/in industry via applying for the standard course. It's likely that it would be easier to transfer away from doing a year in industry/abroad than chose to do one at a later date, but you would have to confirm this with the university in question.

I would email the universities you are interested in and ask them directly.
Original post by kabutsu
I'm thinking of doing computer science at uni, and I'm applying to Southampton, Birmingham, Warwick, Nottingham, and Bath or Bristol. I'm definitely interested in doing a year of something (industry or abroad) and I'm aware you can apply for one straight through UCAS (e.g. I101 or something for a year abroad course). I was just wondering, does this tie you in to doing the year abroad/in industry? Can you still apply to do years abroad/in industry with the uni even if you just apply for the standard course through UCAS? Which is the best option? Thanks

not at all- people will switch between the two. I would imagine though its easier to apply for the placement or year abroad option and then back out than the other way round though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending