Why wont society allow us to marry? :(

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
My relationship is far from conventional, but very much real.

I am bisexual and I am in a relationship with a man who I love dearly and a woman who I love equally dearly. The woman is also bisexual and loves me and our man. Everything about our relationship is perfect, except the way people react when they find out about us can be quite upsetting sometimes.

All three of us really want to get married one day and have a family, but the current laws don't allow us to. Why are people so concerned about what we do when it doesn't affect them at all? Should the laws be changed to allow us to be a happily married family?
Inazuma
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Too much room for abuse. I agree with polygamous marriages not being legal because of the aspect from other countries of men having many wives / harem - and I don't support those relationships as there is not the same equality as what you describe, however legally they cannot be differentiated.
Anyway, you can still have a family - being married is no prerequisite to having one.
wildbluesun
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I don't know why people are so worried about what happens in other people's relationships. I've got a thread up talking about mine (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2867139) and less than a page in I'm already being called a slut and having my relationships questioned. I was expecting it, but it's still a bit of a *****.

I would support a change in the law to allow group marriages, but in the mean time, you can always get married, just without the legal bit. Big party, white dresses, honeymoon, just without signing that one piece of paper. Nothing stopping you having a family either. Good luck with it.
Chicken.M.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
People like to dictate how others should live their lives.
College_Dropout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Lucky guy
Jezebelle
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I have nothing against polygamous relationships but think polygamous marriage would just create more legal problems.
What If you got into a coma and your spouses disagree about whether to turn off life support. Who's wishes are followed? I'm sure there are other examples bit that's the first one off the top of my head.
Plus there are probably ways people could abuse it.
Treeroy
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I completely agree. You can be with one guy or a hundred guys, or a thousand girls, or a combination of all three, and it doesn't matter. As long as it is consensual, it shouldn't matter.

Unfortunately, laws and society don't think sensibly, and people like to choose how other people should live their lives.
Octopus_Garden
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You are not the first in this situation and you won't be the last.

Polygamous marriage is likely to remain legally impossible for many years, if not forever, due to the difficulty of managing a fair division of property in the event of a total or partial break-up.
L'Evil Fish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's just a certificate and paper.

I think people will obviously find it strange because it's not the norm, but I don't see anything wrong with it.
JulietheCat
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by shakool2kool)
How the f**k do people actually get into these type of situations.
I was in a poly relationship with two other women and a MFF one. In both cases, we branched from an existing couple to a threesome.

We all broke it off because of the time and effort to maintain two people, but some couples stay like that all their lives.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (213)
43.83%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (56)
11.52%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (36)
7.41%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (103)
21.19%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (51)
10.49%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.56%

Watched Threads