The Student Room Logo
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
This thread is closed

Toffs

They're everywhere in Leeds. Pashminas, Uggs, braying voices, superficial rahs. Yep they're here aplenty.

They're amusing at first then they just piss you off.

Back later...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well thanks for that dashing insight into Leeds. Have you stayed for longer than a day?
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
he must've.. i mean there's no diversity in leeds at all.. surely uve seen that after a year..
I've lived in Leeds since I was 3. That's 19 and a half years in case you were wondering....and Leeds, as it happens, is VERY diverse.

You've got townies, chavs, rockers, goths, skaters, alternatives in general, upper class, middle class, lower class, people that like rock, people that like r n b, people that like dance trace techno stuff, people that like classical music, black people, chinese people, white people, polish people, asian people, french people, tall people, short people, medium people, midgets, clever people, average people, stupid people, people that like horse riding, people that are terrified of anything with 4 legs, people that like cinema, people that prefer staying at home with a good book.....

I could seriously go on all day.

What's NOT diverse about Leeds?

In fact, what's not diverse about any major city? All major cities are diverse!

I'm thinking that people who suggest that Leeds isn't diverse are clearly not getting out very much!
Reply 4
If we're going to generalise, I think I see more indie/skaters/emo types than toffs tbh.
I think you'll find the horse riders are the clear majority in Leeds.
Reply 6
cosmonaut
They're everywhere in Leeds. Pashminas, Uggs, braying voices, superficial rahs. Yep they're here aplenty.

They're amusing at first then they just piss you off.

Back later...

wow, what a great, informative post. Somebody else said this on another forum and there was uproar about it. To be honest, who gives a flying *****, there will always be people with the same basic interests as u in a uni the size of leeds and with the relevant societies etc they shouldn't be that hard to find. Stupid posts like that will make some people worry for no good reason.
Reply 7
For probably the 50th time...

WHO CARES?!

get over the divide, nobody else even cares that it's there
Reply 8
can i just say i was being sarcastic.. reading through my post again i realise that this didn't really show..
ChrisA86
can i just say i was being sarcastic.. reading through my post again i realise that this didn't really show..

lol thanks for clearing that up - no you're right it didn't really show. It's kinda hard to convey sarcasm in writing I often find.
the use of [sarcasm] tags generally helps :biggrin:
Reply 11
Theres hardly any lol, maybe cos i go to the met, theres alot of southerners tho. always maonin that its cold lol :P
Reply 12
i'm from the south and it's bloody warm at the mo..

except for the rain (and mini tornado yesterday).. warm now tho..
Reply 13
Id say it was fairly warm up here, but whats warm? is it a diff temp in the south to the north? lol
toffs dont like the warmth because of their cold hearts. thats why they move up north.
Reply 15
Fleece
I think I see more indie/skaters/emo

There was me thinking I was going to enjoy leeds...:redface:
Reply 16
They're are just visiting for the day from Harrogate.

Only joking, i love Harrogate really. No denying it's very... affluent though.

You shouldn't really assume that the people you refer to as 'toffs' are posh, wealthy etc.

I talk with an accent that causes people to make assumptions about me but most people admit that they're wrong and i'm actually really down to earth.
Reply 17
well in september surely warms enough to be out on the terrace bit.. of the terrace!

still tho.. tornado/hurricane thing.. not so good.
It's so paradoxical though, because posh people tend to think they're better than others, but actually they're oblivious to the stigma attached to them, and so they go through life deluding themselves silly in thinking that they're better. They are actually low down on the social hierarchy.
OC_girl
They're are just visiting for the day from Harrogate.

Only joking, i love Harrogate really. No denying it's very... affluent though.

You shouldn't really assume that the people you refer to as 'toffs' are posh, wealthy etc.

I talk with an accent that causes people to make assumptions about me but most people admit that they're wrong and i'm actually really down to earth.

People who make asusmptions from other people's accents need to be shot. What is so characteristic about having the same universal accent as the other people? You don't have an identity, you don't stand out, nothing. There are people who have said they're from such and such a place and I'm really gobsmacked by it, purely because they don't sound nothing like it. And I'm having to modify my accent because of fear of stereotyping. But the beauty is, you can turn it off and on at whim. Someone said to me that they are fearful of there accent leading to stereotyping. But people who are judgemental in any way, shape or form.................I feel like strangling them.

End of post, before I get myself mad.

Latest