Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am absolutely terrified of spiders. I don't know why, but their mere existance, their creepy stance, the way they disappear into nowhere really unnerves me. My mum's not too keen on them either. We just found one in the bathroom, it was just sitting there refusing to budge. We spent an hour staring at it, until we decided to hit it with a magazine. Then it fell on the floor and scuttled under the floorboards. Now there's a spider roaming the house somewhere, and I have no idea where. It's probably 8cm from my head when I sleep, but I won't know, until it crawls onto my face or something. If I look too hard trying to find out where it is I'll find it, and whilst I'll be glad to know where it is, I will suffer the trauma of seeing it out of the corner of my eye. Probably jumping back in shock, and probably losing it again.

I'm going to move to a country which doesn't have spiders so I don't have to worry about them. Iceland or something. To know that it's somewhere around complete consumes me thought processes.

BAH!

ReputationRep:
    You sound like my sister. Have you thought about hytotheropy? Or spend a whole day in the room full of spiders. You won't be scared then.

ReputationRep:
    in a lifetime how many spiders do you swallow while asleep???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Apparently there are at least 5 different species of spider in any room at any time...
    Thought it was 8, but that is most probably a huge exaggeration considering the population density of spiders in forests etc...

ReputationRep:
    Apparently there are at least 5 different species of spider in any room at any time...
    You're LYING.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    You're LYING.
    Nope its all true I am afrain. In fact scientific research has shown that atoms are made up of egg legged structures.... ok now I am taking the whats it.

Seriosly though if there was a spider in your room now what would you do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    You sound like my sister. Have you thought about hytotheropy? Or spend a whole day in the room full of spiders. You won't be scared then.
    I'm not sure spending a day in a room full of spiders will it ever help me to acknowledge the shock of seeing a spider, or the distress of not knowing where it is.

Hypnotherapy is interesting. I'll certainly have to do *something*. I'll have to live alone one day, and I really will be screwed if everytime a spider crawls through the window I have to leave the house or sleep in another room.

ReputationRep:
    Bowl, cardboard, door. SPider eliminated humanely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Nope its all true I am afrain. In fact scientific research has shown that atoms are made up of egg legged structures.... ok now I am taking the whats it.

Seriosly though if there was a spider in your room now what would you do?
    Go sleep downstairs until my stepdad got back from work.

ReputationRep:
    *Wets herself*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    Bowl, cardboard, door. SPider eliminated humanely.
    This spider was sitting on a convex corner making it impossible to either catch it, or squish it =|

ReputationRep:
    what if there was a spider standing at your bedroom door and you were trapped in?

ReputationRep:
    This spider was sitting on a convex corner making it impossible to either catch it, or squish it =|
    You put theb owl over it, move the bowl. They are stupid they will move to a flat surface if lead. I did it with three flipping WASPS today, I think you can manage a spider. Just be grateful they don't have wings or skin-piercing poisonous barbs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baron)
    what if there was a spider standing at your bedroom door and you were trapped in?
    Jump over it. I'm familar enough with them to know that it probably wouldn't move as I tried to do that. I suppose what could be worse is if the door was shut, it was on the door and I had to open it to get out. I'd probably just swing it open and run as fast as I could.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    You put theb owl over it, move the bowl. They are stupid they will move to a flat surface if lead. I did it with three flipping WASPS today, I think you can manage a spider. Just be grateful they don't have wings or skin-piercing poisonous barbs.

It's weird though, it was on the corner, where the sink meets the wall. So you can't put a bowl over it without a big gap. If you shoved paper up there it'd just fall on your hand

ReputationRep:
    has anyone seen ricky gervais's standup called "animals"?

he said that daddy long legs have the strongest poison known to man, but no teeth to administer the poison...

ReputationRep:
    It's weird though, it was on the corner, where the sink meets the wall. So you can't put a bowl over it without a big gap. If you shoved paper up there it'd just fall on your hand
    Theya re stupid, like i said, even if you put a bowl over them (despite the gap) they will scuttle one way or another onto somewhere where it's flat. Please don't squish spiders, it is mean. It is YOUR irrational fear, they are only living their little spidery lives.

ReputationRep:
    lol! Spiders with wings, now that brings on a new dimension of fear!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rIcHrD)
    lol! Spiders with wings, now that brings on a new dimension of fear!
    jumping spiders are scary

ReputationRep:
    I hope you manage to combat you're fear anyway. I used to be scared of lifts so I just started gradualy using one at university which looked very safe, now I use lifts all the time.

I also used to be scared of the top deck of buses so one day I tried decided to sit upstairs and found I didn't mind it at all. I am guessing your fear is much worse though.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.