The Student Room Group

A2 Equilibrium Help!

Hi there i need help on how to do the following question:

At 723K, hydrogen and iodine react together and the following equilibrium is established: H2(g) + I2(g) == 2HI(g)

The value of Kc for this equilibrium is 64. In an experiment, equal amounts of hydrogen and iodine were mixed together, and the equilibrium mixture of the three gases in a container of volume 1 dm3 at 723K was found to contain 1.5 moles of iodine. Calculate the concentration of hydrogen iodide in the mixture at 723K.

Help would be really appreciated as i just don't know how to get to the answer, explanation as to how you did so will also be useful. Chemistry calculations has always been my downfall so help on this would be appreciated! :smile:
If there's 1.5 mol iodine at equlibrium then there is 3 mol HI (from stoichiometry)

Then just apply n=cv
C=n/v
3/1
= 3 mol dm^-3

I is right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by QuantumSuicide
If there's 1.5 mol iodine at equlibrium then there is 3 mol HI (from stoichiometry)

Then just apply n=cv
C=n/v
3/1
= 3 mol dm^-3

I is right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

no :frown:
Reply 3

Then just apply n=cv
C=n/v
3/1
= 3 mol dm^-3

I is right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The answer is actually: 12moldm^3

I don't know how they actually got this. :frown:
Original post by charco

Ooooh, i know how to do this.

Do kc = products over reactants, then solve it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Ooooh, i know how to do this.

Do kc = products over reactants, then solve it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by charco

Can you show me please?
Original post by Jatyization

At 723K, hydrogen and iodine react together and the following equilibrium is established: H2(g) + I2(g) == 2HI(g)

The value of Kc for this equilibrium is 64. In an experiment, equal amounts of hydrogen and iodine were mixed together, and the equilibrium mixture of the three gases in a container of volume 1 dm3 at 723K was found to contain 1.5 moles of iodine. Calculate the concentration of hydrogen iodide in the mixture at 723K.

Help would be really appreciated as i just don't know how to get to the answer, explanation as to how you did so will also be useful. Chemistry calculations has always been my downfall so help on this would be appreciated! :smile:

There must also be the same number of moles of hydrogen (the iodine started off the same as hydrogen and equimolar amounts must have reacted from the equation stoichiometry)

Now you apply the equilibrium law:

k = [HI]2/

[I2]

64 = [HI]2/1.5*1.5

[HI]2 = 64 * 2.25 = 144

[HI] = 12
Reply 7
Original post by Jatyization

Right dude. It helps to do a little table with your three species and then their concentrations at equilibrium and at the start. So initially you have equal concs of H and I and no HI at all. At eq you have 1.5 moles I, which means you must have 1.5 moles of H. Moles HI is unknown at this point.

Using Kc = 64, you know that 64=x^2/1.5^2. I think you can leave the concentrations as moles as the volume is 1dm so the ratio will stay the same. If you then multiply 64 by 1.5^2 and square root the answer you get 12mol dm^-3 for the concentration of HI. I think that's right.
Reply 8
Original post by charco
There must also be the same number of moles of hydrogen (the iodine started off the same as hydrogen and equimolar amounts must have reacted from the equation stoichiometry)

Now you apply the equilibrium law:

k = [HI]2/

[I2]

64 = [HI]2/1.5*1.5

[HI]2 = 64 * 2.25 = 144

[HI] = 12

Thank you so much for your help! I really do appreciate it and i understand this a lot more now. It was actually really easy, i got confused because i thought we must use algebra to work this out :redface:. May i just ask, when do we actually use Algebra for this type of equilibrium question?
Reply 9
No idea what you mean - solving for [HI] is using algebra...
Original post by Borek
No idea what you mean - solving for [HI] is using algebra...

So for example. When you have to factorise it. Im not sure if im phrasing it right...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest