Is it okay to compliment a stranger? Watch

mick694
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Every year I try to change something positive about myself personality wise. In 2013 I pushed myself to do something a little out of my comfort zone everyday and it worked wonders for my confidence. In 2014 I'd be more positively honest, because I always got annoyed about the "just being honest" phrase people used when they were critical when I thought honesty can equally be positive too.

So it would just be little things like "that shirt is amazing" or "you have a really good singing voice" or just anything positive that I noticed about a person that I felt was true.

But standing in line at a little Spar yesterday the girl who served me was really beautiful and had these piercing blue eyes and normally I'd mention something like that but her being a stranger it felt like that would have been way too creepy or considered flirting or that I had some kind of agenda (which I don't really want to do because I have a girlfriend).

Should I just bite my tongue in these instances or is it socially acceptable to do this or is it creepy?Do any of you compliment strangers randomly? How would you feel if a stranger complimented you then walked away? Is it weird?
Guybrush Sheepgood
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you're attractive it's endearing, if you're ugly it's creepy
SarcasticMel
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Guybrush Sheepgood)
Sadly this.
katenworb
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I love It when it happens but oh god it's rare

Posted from TSR Mobile
iEatMuFFiNS
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Guybrush Sheepgood)
This basically.

E.g. if your hit on girls at work and your handsome they love it, if you're ugly then you're a perv :rolleyes:
swarly
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
do not approach or even look at strangers.

it is majorly creepy.
She-Ra
  • TSR Community Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
She-Ra is about to get all "hippie"...

Basically I think it's super positive to put happy vibes out there into the universe..... so yes to complementing people, I don't think people do it enough

I compliment people on hair, what they're wearing etc - also if they've done something inspiring - as you say, have a beautiful singing voice etc.

I don't know anyone who doesn't feel good about receiving a compliment from a stranger or a friend... and I think you should always acknowledge and accept their compliment graciously - because it's their "truth" and what they believe.

Just think we were all strangers once.... you never know what may come of starting a positive conversation or making a lovely comment
dogs4eva7
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mick694)
Every year I try to change something positive about myself personality wise. In 2013 I pushed myself to do something a little out of my comfort zone everyday and it worked wonders for my confidence. In 2014 I'd be more positively honest, because I always got annoyed about the "just being honest" phrase people used when they were critical when I thought honesty can equally be positive too.

So it would just be little things like "that shirt is amazing" or "you have a really good singing voice" or just anything positive that I noticed about a person that I felt was true.

But standing in line at a little Spar yesterday the girl who served me was really beautiful and had these piercing blue eyes and normally I'd mention something like that but her being a stranger it felt like that would have been way too creepy or considered flirting or that I had some kind of agenda (which I don't really want to do because I have a girlfriend).

Should I just bite my tongue in these instances or is it socially acceptable to do this or is it creepy?Do any of you compliment strangers randomly? How would you feel if a stranger complimented you then walked away? Is it weird?
I do this! It usually goes well for me, but obviously society might view it differently when you're complimenting the opposite sex, I guess.

So maybe just say 'you have nice eyes' in a friendly way? As in, don't stare into her eyes as you say 'you have nice eyes'?

Idk that's what I do :lol: (but with guys)
mick694
Rep:
?
I like your style She-ra that's why I want to do it, send out positive vibes. I know vice-versa it makes my day so I just wanted to do the same for other people when I can.

Haha yeah Jen, I try not to be too intense about it, just in a kind of passing comment way.
tillytots
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No it's weird and makes me feel uneasy
Morgasm19
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think complimenting clothing or someone's singing voice in a friendly manner would be really nice, but maybe if you don't want to come across as being filrtatious, steer away from complimenting something physical about them like their eyes?
mick694
Rep:
?
I guess it can go either way with some people liking it and some not, probably better to steer away from compliments to physical appearance at all when it comes to strangers, like you say Morgasm. I just come from a little city where it's common place to say hey to everyone you pass and have a chat with random people you bump into, but I know that kind of dynamic freaks some people out, especially those from big cities.
ChickenMadness
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If it's a man you can. If it's a woman there will be a chance she's a feminist and might shriek in pain if you tell her 'nice hat'.
She-Ra
  • TSR Community Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mick694)
I like your style She-ra that's why I want to do it, send out positive vibes. I know vice-versa it makes my day so I just wanted to do the same for other people when I can.

Haha yeah Jen, I try not to be too intense about it, just in a kind of passing comment way.
Aww thanks
username927016
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah I think it's fine if you did it in a non-creepy way, I mean it would make feel really good inside getting a compliment from anyone
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (124)
17.92%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (72)
10.4%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (119)
17.2%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (101)
14.6%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (67)
9.68%
How can I be the best version of myself? (209)
30.2%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise