kesun
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I am confused about the two enzymes polymerase and ligase.

So, which one of them join nucleotides together, create the phosphodiester bond, link together two DNA strands, and other actions involved in DNA replication? Do they have other roles in DNA replication?

And are these actions from the 3` direction to the 5` direction or the other way round?

Somehow, I think the Edexcel textbook is quite unclear.. and as a private candidate, I turned to google some information, but there are quite a lot of confusing versions of the information of the two enzymes :s
so i really need some help
Thank you!
Dynamo123
  • Study Helper
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by kesun)
I am confused about the two enzymes polymerase and ligase.

So, which one of them join nucleotides together, create the phosphodiester bond, link together two DNA strands, and other actions involved in DNA replication? Do they have other roles in DNA replication?

And are these actions from the 3` direction to the 5` direction or the other way round?

Somehow, I think the Edexcel textbook is quite unclear.. and as a private candidate, I turned to google some information, but there are quite a lot of confusing versions of the information of the two enzymes :s
so i really need some help
Thank you!
Well, to explain this, I hope you are familiar with the concept of Okazaki fragments and the process of replication in the lagging strand.
Well, once these fragments have bound, they are "sealed" in their place by a special type of ligase called DNA ligase, which makes a phosphodiester bond between the adjacent fragments.

Polymerase is an enzyme used mostly in replication (DNA polymerase) and transcription (RNA polymerases). It will perform various functions. Just take one example of DNA polymerase 1. It has a forward (5'-3') activity adding nucelotides--this requires a primer. It has a reverse (3'-5') exonuclease proofreading activity.

I hope this helps
kesun
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
thank you for your help
and i found a video on youtube, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L8Xb6j7A4w
which is quite helpful too
Dynamo123
  • Study Helper
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by kesun)
thank you for your help
and i found a video on youtube, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L8Xb6j7A4w
which is quite helpful too
No problemo
That is good
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How are your mock exams going?

Love them - Feeling positive (10)
6.13%
They've been reasonable (67)
41.1%
Not feeling great... (44)
26.99%
They are TERRIBLE! (42)